Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing PDFs in Books and iCloud

I rarely open the Books app, but today I did. It now has about every pdf I've ever opened showing up in it, which was never the case before. In the List view they all show up as being added today. And then right after that I got a notice that I needed to buy more space in iCloud since I was running out. I would like to remove these pdfs from iCloud, but when I tried it said that it would delete them from my device which I do not want to happen. How can I remove them from iCloud only (and also have them not show up in Books), but leave them alone on my Mac? Also how can I keep pdfs that I open from going into iCloud and Books in the first place so I don't have to go delete them all the time?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 2:35 AM

As you mentioned iCloud storage space is short see the article Upgrade or downgrade your iCloud storage - Apple Support

The second way is .

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Save space on your MacBook Air - Apple Support

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

The pdf files can be moved to some other location see the last para of the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

The pdf files are not deleted from iCloud.com but still on Mac .

Another inquiry - and also have them not show up in Books)

See the article https://support.apple.com/guide/books/hide-and-unhide-purchased-items-ibksa4e88313/mac

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 2:35 AM in response to suzannegarn

As you mentioned iCloud storage space is short see the article Upgrade or downgrade your iCloud storage - Apple Support

The second way is .

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Save space on your MacBook Air - Apple Support

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

The pdf files can be moved to some other location see the last para of the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

The pdf files are not deleted from iCloud.com but still on Mac .

Another inquiry - and also have them not show up in Books)

See the article https://support.apple.com/guide/books/hide-and-unhide-purchased-items-ibksa4e88313/mac

Jun 23, 2021 8:05 PM in response to tygb

I have no interest in having all of these pdfs in iCloud and I certainly don't want to have to pay Apple for their bug in putting them into iCloud. Most of your other links solve the opposite problem that I have. They show how to put stuff into iCloud to reduce the storage needs on your Mac. In my case I have plenty of room on my Mac but don't use or want to pay for iCloud storage at all. I want to keep the files on my Mac and remove them from iCloud. I also want to prevent Apple from putting them back onto iCloud or putting new pdfs that I open into iCloud. They foul up my Books app. For now I guess I could not use the Books app too. Apple is slowly driving me away from their products.

Removing PDFs in Books and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.