Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup from iPhone to Mac

As long as an iPhone's storage is not used completely, can I create a backup?

I'm considering buying an iPhone with 256 GB storage, but let's say I've only used 60 GB, can I then create a backup as long as my Mac has enough storage for the 60 GB, or will I need 256 GB free storage on the Mac?

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 10:24 AM

I will provide a live example (my own) for clarification purposes-

My iPhone 12 PRO MAX has a total available storage capacity of 256GB. I have used up 130GB of space. This leaves 126GB of free storage space on my iPhone.

I have a MacBook Air with a total capacity of 256GB. I have used up 120GB of space and that leaves 136GB of free storage space on my MacBook Air.

I backup my iPhone on my MacBook Air as well. That backup file on my MacBook Air is approximately 50GB. The backup file size is more than half the size of the actual space that is used up on my iPhone. Why is that? This is because I also use iCloud (paid version) for backups. All the media files from my iPhone (Photos, Videos, Music etc). are stored on iCloud and the backup file on my Mac only has reference links to that data in Cloud. Having iCloud backups makes the MacBook backup size a lot smaller. That is my setup.

To elaborate further, if you use iCloud for backups then you do not need to backup on a computer as well. I just chose to do so. If you do not use iCloud for backups and only use your computer then your backup file size will be nearly equal to the space used on your iPhone (minus system files which is usually around 9GB or so).

No matter which method(s) you use, your goal should be have at least 25GB of free space on your Mac for efficient operation.

Axel F.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Abi van der Werf

I will provide a live example (my own) for clarification purposes-

My iPhone 12 PRO MAX has a total available storage capacity of 256GB. I have used up 130GB of space. This leaves 126GB of free storage space on my iPhone.

I have a MacBook Air with a total capacity of 256GB. I have used up 120GB of space and that leaves 136GB of free storage space on my MacBook Air.

I backup my iPhone on my MacBook Air as well. That backup file on my MacBook Air is approximately 50GB. The backup file size is more than half the size of the actual space that is used up on my iPhone. Why is that? This is because I also use iCloud (paid version) for backups. All the media files from my iPhone (Photos, Videos, Music etc). are stored on iCloud and the backup file on my Mac only has reference links to that data in Cloud. Having iCloud backups makes the MacBook backup size a lot smaller. That is my setup.

To elaborate further, if you use iCloud for backups then you do not need to backup on a computer as well. I just chose to do so. If you do not use iCloud for backups and only use your computer then your backup file size will be nearly equal to the space used on your iPhone (minus system files which is usually around 9GB or so).

No matter which method(s) you use, your goal should be have at least 25GB of free space on your Mac for efficient operation.

Axel F.

Jun 19, 2021 10:57 AM in response to Abi van der Werf

The backup file on your Mac may actually be smaller than the storage space that you are currently using on your iPhone. Of course, this depends on several factors however the file size will be close to the actual usage on your iPhone. The one thing that you should be careful about is ensuring that your Mac has still enough free space leftover (after the backup) so that it can function efficiently.

Axel F.

Jun 20, 2021 1:30 AM in response to Axel Foley

Hi Axel, thanks for the fast reply. Just need to see if I understand you correctly: As long as the Mac has enough storage space for the amount of space that's been used on the iPhone, it won't be a problem? If the Mac has 100 GB free space and the iPhone has used only 60 GB out of 256, it won't be a problem to backup? I basically just want to ensure that I buy an iPhone with enough storage for the future, without running into a backup problem. But then I could also consider using iCloud?

Jun 20, 2021 11:44 AM in response to Abi van der Werf

If the iPhone has only used 60GB then the Mac will only need 60GB or less for the backup file.

The last line of my previous response was a separate and independent recommendation to leave at least 25GB of free on your Mac for efficient operation of your Mac. This is just a general advice no matter which data you have on your Mac.

Axel F.

Backup from iPhone to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.