Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup is nearly 5GB, even though nothing selected, WHY?

This question follows from the below discussion.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252527379?answerId=254866642022#254866642022

I have had multiple calls with apple support including senior advisors, and this is still not resolved. Unsure why as it seems it should be fairly obvious.

Why is it impossible within the apple ecosystem to see what is in an icloud backup. And how do I actually investigate what is in my iCloud backup, (and this doesn't mean just total of categories) without using third party software.

The Apple wording around this seems contradictory about messages. (see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428, and specifically note on messages, "2. When you use Messages in iCloud or turn on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. That means that they're not included in your iCloud Backup.")

So, If messages not selected for iCloud storage, it is still part of the iCloud backup. Meaning messages always count towards storage. Can somebody confirm?

The reason I ask is because I'm only wanting to backup a specific app in iCloud, and run into not have enough storage. I really don't think I need to upgrade as nothing is actually selected for backup.

My cynical view is this is all just a ploy to have everybody upgrade and paying for iCloud storage. This is often the first option given to manage storage and even in lots media article written.

I'd appreciate any answers.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 9:21 PM

Hi there!

Good questions!

Well first of all, if any person would be able to view the specific contents of an iCloud Backup, even the owner, then I wouldn’t want to use that cloud service provider, as that is just a security and privacy disaster waiting to happen. This is why I choose Apple....speaking for myself and others I know of course.

I know analyzing cloud storage and usage is very difficult and intricate, so either there is a solid physical explanation for it, or the iCloud service is malfunctioning.

I saw your other post, and it appears you’ve went through all the steps to account for the size of your backups right?

Just a few questions, as all of this information is relative to an answer:

Does the same issue occur on any of your other Apple devices?

Did this issue start after any changes? (Such as getting a new iPhone, an update, or changing the email to your Apple ID, etc.)?

What all do you have enabled in your settings set to be saved to your iCloud Backup?:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204247#backups

I know 5gb can go by really fast! I’m sure you know that already as you’ve done your homework.

The answers to those other questions may help. If, whatever the case, the data just cannot be accounted for at all, I’d still work with Apple Support, they may have more options on the account end of things, such as fixing an issue with storage, account quota, anything on the iCloud side that you can’t control and isn’t working as it should.

Hope something here helps, but if not, happy to give my two cents, whatever the worth!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 9:21 PM in response to hey290

Hi there!

Good questions!

Well first of all, if any person would be able to view the specific contents of an iCloud Backup, even the owner, then I wouldn’t want to use that cloud service provider, as that is just a security and privacy disaster waiting to happen. This is why I choose Apple....speaking for myself and others I know of course.

I know analyzing cloud storage and usage is very difficult and intricate, so either there is a solid physical explanation for it, or the iCloud service is malfunctioning.

I saw your other post, and it appears you’ve went through all the steps to account for the size of your backups right?

Just a few questions, as all of this information is relative to an answer:

Does the same issue occur on any of your other Apple devices?

Did this issue start after any changes? (Such as getting a new iPhone, an update, or changing the email to your Apple ID, etc.)?

What all do you have enabled in your settings set to be saved to your iCloud Backup?:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204247#backups

I know 5gb can go by really fast! I’m sure you know that already as you’ve done your homework.

The answers to those other questions may help. If, whatever the case, the data just cannot be accounted for at all, I’d still work with Apple Support, they may have more options on the account end of things, such as fixing an issue with storage, account quota, anything on the iCloud side that you can’t control and isn’t working as it should.

Hope something here helps, but if not, happy to give my two cents, whatever the worth!

Jul 9, 2021 1:59 AM in response to hey290

Hi again!

Another good question!

So if Messages is turned on for iCloud, it will, of course use your iCloud storage.

If it is on, then the messages are NOT stored in the iCloud backup, because they are already saved to iCloud. (This principal goes for most data with iCloud).

On the flip side, if Messages is turned OFF for iCloud, they are not already in iCloud, so will be included in the iCloud backup.

So, yes, they both use most likely the same storage either way, (Unless you tell iOS not to backup Messages I suppose).

Hope that makes sense! Let me know!

Here is a good article as well:

What does iCloud back up?:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

Jul 10, 2021 5:10 PM in response to hey290

Hey again!

What I meant was, if Messages is turned OFF in iCloud Settings......then when you do an iCloud Backup, (Settings > iCloud > Backup > Backup Now), then a copy of your messages will be stored in that backup, so later you can restore the backup to get your messages back.

If Messages is ON in iCloud Settings, when you hit “Backup Now” to do an iCloud Backup, the messages are NOT stored in that backup, as they’re already being saved/synced with iCloud, but either way they will use your storage.

I think this article lays out most of what you’re looking for, hope this helps, along with the previous ones:

Manage your iCloud storage:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204247

Cheers.

Jul 10, 2021 7:50 PM in response to hey290

Hey again! No worries.

Well you can turn off apps and app data that are stored in your iCloud backups to save iCloud Storage, I don’t remember if Messages is in the list to disable, but check this out:

Save iCloud storage by backing up fewer apps:

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/back-up-fewer-apps-mm6a9671f057/icloud

If you don’t do iCloud backups, and turn off Messages in iCloud Settings, then they won’t use any of your iCloud Storage.

You could instead, backup to a computer like I do, to prevent using your iCloud Storage:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Hope that helps!

Jul 8, 2021 10:39 PM in response to DiZoE

Thanks for your reply.

Answers to your Questions...

1. I have a mac pro and imac, though I haven't seen anything pop up about the icloud being unable to backup. I don't use iCloud to backup or store anything, as I backup using an external drive. Even so if I check on both macs the iCloud is at same capacity as my iPhone, which is no surprise.
  2. No, I don't believe so. I think it's more to do with message now being included in iCloud across devices, so from May 2018 when 'messages in iCloud' was introduced.
  3. There is nothing enabled to backup. That's my main issue. And I only have a nominal 126MB on iCloud. So as an example if I delete the backup there is only 126MB in my iCloud (this includes icloud drive, notes reminders), and then if I backup my iPhone with nothing selected for the backup, I end up at near capacity of 5GB.

Also my main query remains...

....If messages are not selected for iCloud storage, is it still part of the iCloud backup. Meaning messages always count towards storage. .....Can somebody confirm this ?

Jul 9, 2021 10:32 PM in response to DiZoE

Hi,

Again thanks for engaging in trying to help resolve my issue.

I understand what you are saying, although I think there is still not quite the clarity I'm after.

You say 'Messages is turned OFF....( )...'will be included in the iCloud backup.'

However then you say 'Unless you tell iOS not to backup Messages I suppose'. This is the crux of the problem, there is no option to not select the messages app for iCloud backup. I have not selected any app for iCloud backup. And yet I get a 4.8GB backup. When added with the 126MB, it close to the 5GB.

I would like to use the icloud storage for other apps but this is preventing me from doing so.

Again, can anybody clearly confirm that message 'backup' no matter whether selected or not. (note; this is not the case with other apps, eg photos for instance , thank goodness).

Cheers again!

Jul 10, 2021 7:14 PM in response to DiZoE

Hi,

Thanks again for a quick reply, I do understand what you said.

And it seem you are confirming that messages count toward iCloud storage, no matter what.

However, I don't want them to. Is there anyway to 'tell iOS not to backup Messages'. Then I would have control over 5GB free icloud storage to use.

Without this I will need to delete my messages history or upgrade my iCloud account. (not really what I'm wanting to do)

Thanks

Jul 10, 2021 8:13 PM in response to hey290

I'm new to this Apple Business but I recently had a similar problem to this.

I was trying to force the devices to backup to the iCloud and then an option would appear asking to encrypt, so the whole device with the data and also the recently deleted data was uploading as one large chunk of used up iCloud space, in my case this was called "Phone" it was 500mb of recently deleted photo's.

I forget the exact process but you can delete from the iCloud to free up some space.

Apple is confusingly simple & I'm beginning to love Apple for that

iCloud backup is nearly 5GB, even though nothing selected, WHY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.