Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 iPad Pro Sound Output with Thunderbolt Dock

Just got my new iPad Pro which is great, however there seems to be no way to select what sound output I want.

I have connected it to my CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 dock. That’s got both a Plantronics BT600 Bluetooth adaptor for my headset which I use for Teams calls. Then there’s a USB cable connecting it to my Bose Companion speakers. Unless I’m missing something really obvious, there seems to be no way to pick which app uses which audio output/input?

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 11:09 AM

Hello David Cohen4,

It sounds like you need some information on how to change the sound input on your iPad. We will be happy to provide some guidance.

Generally speaking, this should be plug and play. Some docks may require external power as well. Have you consulted the manual to see if it offers any tips?

If you use Control Center following this article, can you select that sound output? Access Control Center on your iPad

Press and hold on the sound interface and see what options appear. Please keep us posted.

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 11:09 AM in response to David Cohen4

Hello David Cohen4,

It sounds like you need some information on how to change the sound input on your iPad. We will be happy to provide some guidance.

Generally speaking, this should be plug and play. Some docks may require external power as well. Have you consulted the manual to see if it offers any tips?

If you use Control Center following this article, can you select that sound output? Access Control Center on your iPad

Press and hold on the sound interface and see what options appear. Please keep us posted.

Cheers!

Jun 21, 2021 11:59 AM in response to rose_10

Thanks for the response. I emailed CalDigit who make the TS3+ Dock and they responded with this:

"Thank you for contacting us. This is a limitation of the iPad OS and doesn't allow you to select sound outputs. When connected to the dock, the iPad’s audio will default to the front audio port of the Pro dock. This is a limitation with iPad OS and there isn’t way to switch between different audio sources.

Regards,

CalDigit EU Support."

The fact that I can't use my Plantronics Headset to make Teams calls, then listen to Music from Apple Music on my Bose Speakers is a fairly major flaw. Coupled with the total lack of multi-monitor support renders it essentially useless for my needs I'm afraid. There seems no way to have Teams on the iPad screen, and Outlook on my external screen.

M1 iPad Pro Sound Output with Thunderbolt Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.