Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular data usage with Apple Music

I’d like to stay with Apple Music, but it consumes so much data on cellular during steaming (carplay). I tested yesterday. Same songs, 30 minutes. Apple Music took 89MB, Spotify took just 9. It’s a brutally significant difference that forces me to stop using Apple Music. Why there’s no possibility for extra low quality like Spotify has? The strange is that iPhone says 1.5MB per 3 minute song for efficient streaming, but it’s far from reality. For me it was like 10MB per song. iOS 14.6.

You may suggest to download the music offline. But 1) I don’t want to waste my space in my iPhone 2) for some reason I could not download some music from my library (it said corrupted song) and 3) I cannot have every possible music downloaded in my iPhone. During the ride I love to shoot a singer name and ask Siri to play it. That is the beauty of the Apple Music service.

Now I’m really disappointed and dispite I don’t want to switch to Spotify, I will be propably forced to do it.

Any thought? Thanks

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 12:16 PM

I'm not following all those numbers but make sure you didn't accidentally activate the new lossless mode:

About lossless audio in Apple Music --> https://support.apple.com/HT212183

3 replies

Cellular data usage with Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.