Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CleanMyMac X

Is CleanMyMac X a safe, reliable cleaning program, especially for new Mac users?

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.11

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 10:46 PM

Hello, Inquirer.

To answer your question simply, NO.

To be clear, CleanMy MacX is not malware outright, but it is typically ill behaved within the macOS environment. So much so that many here consider it to be a malware cousin. I would advise against installing it as it tends to create more problems than it purports to prevent or eliminate.

MacOS is very secure and quite capable of keeping itself that way. There is no need to run any “cleaning”, “speed-up” or “optimizing” apps, nor any anti-virus apps.

In fact, most anti-virus and cleaning apps are less than helpful on the Mac and often cause more problems and headache than they prevent because they conflict with the Mac’s built in securities.

Please see these Apple Support Community documents:

click> Effective Defenses Against Malware - Apple Community

click> How to install adware - Apple Community

click> Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts…and other scams - Apple Support 

click> macOS security built right in. - Apple 

If you currently have this type of app installed, you should uninstall it according to the developer's instructions, and continue to use best practices when using your Mac.

If you have been advised as a  troubleshooting measure to do a malware scan on your Mac, then Malwarebytes is a safe and recommended utility. And the free version is all you need to get started.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 10:46 PM in response to Inquirer!

Hello, Inquirer.

To answer your question simply, NO.

To be clear, CleanMy MacX is not malware outright, but it is typically ill behaved within the macOS environment. So much so that many here consider it to be a malware cousin. I would advise against installing it as it tends to create more problems than it purports to prevent or eliminate.

MacOS is very secure and quite capable of keeping itself that way. There is no need to run any “cleaning”, “speed-up” or “optimizing” apps, nor any anti-virus apps.

In fact, most anti-virus and cleaning apps are less than helpful on the Mac and often cause more problems and headache than they prevent because they conflict with the Mac’s built in securities.

Please see these Apple Support Community documents:

click> Effective Defenses Against Malware - Apple Community

click> How to install adware - Apple Community

click> Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts…and other scams - Apple Support 

click> macOS security built right in. - Apple 

If you currently have this type of app installed, you should uninstall it according to the developer's instructions, and continue to use best practices when using your Mac.

If you have been advised as a  troubleshooting measure to do a malware scan on your Mac, then Malwarebytes is a safe and recommended utility. And the free version is all you need to get started.

Jun 20, 2021 10:48 PM in response to Inquirer!

No CleanMyMac and any other apps that claim to clean, optimise or otherwise gift your mac unsubstantiated

benefits are not required by macs, and very often cause your mac to malfunction. Often these apps will flag up

files as threats which are in fact needed system files, you may be tempted to delete these files thus causing your

macs system harm. leanMyMac is one of theorist for this.

While we are here it is also totally unnecessary for macs to have any anti-virus apps installed, there are no viruses

that attack the mac. AV apps run in the background using up system resources for no benefit and often interfere with the macs own management of itself. Macs have their own built in security protocols.

If you want to keep on top of adware/ malware then download and install the free version of, https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac run it once a week or once a month.

If you want to read more on how best to look after your mc read this article,

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Jul 5, 2021 7:44 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks

I have Clean my mac and used it to keep my mac in shape. It did a pretty good job. However I do not like the way they operate their business.

I deleted some binaries I was told I would not need while Apple was coding for the new chip M1. The result, I think, caused my

headset to not function. When I stick my headset into the usb port the sound should only come thru the headset. How would I rectify this situation. T.I.A.

Jul 5, 2021 7:53 AM in response to Moiki

Moiki wrote:

Thanks
I have Clean my mac and used it to keep my mac in shape. It did a pretty good job. However I do not like the way they operate their business.
I deleted some binaries I was told I would not need while Apple was coding for the new chip M1. The result, I think, caused my
headset to not function. When I stick my headset into the usb port the sound should only come thru the headset. How would I rectify this situation. T.I.A.

Start your own thread rather than thread jacking this one. Starting your own thread will ensure your issue is addressed rather than being lost in this unrelated thread.

CleanMyMac X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.