Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD has disappeared from Disc Utility only OS X Base system

This morning a couple of my apps on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) became unresponsive, and as I tried to quit them through Force Quit Applications, my macbook became unresponsive. Pressed the power button to turn my computer off and as I turned it on again it and the Big Sur screen came up, the start up bar stopped half way. I then restarted in recovery mode and as went into Disc Utility, my 1Tb Transcend SSD was not showing, all that was left was the OS X Base system with like 1.3 Gb only. Connected my external with Time Machine to try and recover but that did not work as there was not disc to write it to. What I've now done -as a temp solution- is connected an external SSD, and downloaded OS X Yosemite. Looking to retrieve the internal SSD, assistance would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 5:43 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 21, 2021 9:33 PM in response to HWTech

There's good news, and bad news, swapped both and the laptop is all singing and dancing with the original 256Gb SSD. The now external Transcend seem to have died, although the blue light is burning it does not show up in finder or DU, less then a year old and not cheap, wonder how is that possible as these are supposed to be a decent qual, any ideas? Could it possibly be repaired?

Question;

1. Reinstall Big Sur (curr Yos) and should I then be able to use my Time Machine external to reinstall a back up right, what are the steps to reinstall a back up as haven't done this?

Jun 22, 2021 6:15 PM in response to mqsasia

mqsasia wrote:

There's good news, and bad news, swapped both and the laptop is all singing and dancing with the original 256Gb SSD. The now external Transcend seem to have died, although the blue light is burning it does not show up in finder or DU, less then a year old and not cheap, wonder how is that possible as these are supposed to be a decent qual, any ideas? Could it possibly be repaired?

As I thought this is an NVMe based SSD which requires macOS 10.13+. Your pictures showing Disk Utility are older versions from macOS 10.12 or earlier which is why the Transcend SSD isn't showing up in Internet Recovery Mode. If booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R only boots to an old version of macOS installer, then create a bootable macOS 11.4 Big Sur USB installer now that you can boot your Mac with the original Apple SSD.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I honestly don't know if Yosemite's Disk Utility will be able to see an external NVMe SSD especially since the drive would be using the APFS file system which Yosemite does not understand. In theory Yosemite should at least see the physical SSD, but sometimes macOS won't even see the physical drive if something on it is unexpected or unknown. It doesn't always mean the drive is bad. It is best to try using macOS 10.13+ to be sure.

Question1. ;
Reinstall Big Sur (curr Yos) and should I then be able to use my Time Machine external to reinstall a back up right, what are the steps to reinstall a back up as haven't done this?

I don't use Time Machine, but I believe you will want to perform a clean install of macOS first. After a clean install, then you can restore from the TM backup when you first boot into the newly installed OS (there will be an option to do this).

Before you go this route I suggest creating a bootable macOS 11.4 Big Sur USB installer. Swap SSDs again and boot to the Big Sur USB installer to see if you can now see the Transcend SSD with Disk Utility. You will need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive and hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Try running First Aid on the physical SSD, then run First Aid on the Container. Even if First Aid shows the "Container" is "Ok" click "Show Details" and manually scroll through the report to see if there are any unfixed errors listed. If there are any unfixed errors, then you will need to erase the whole physical SSD before restoring from a backup or clone.

I recommended swapping SSDs for the above procedure so that you don't accidentally mess up your bootable Yosemite on the original Apple SSD, but you can also do this with the Transcend SSD installed in the external enclosure. Sometimes macOS touches things you don't expect.

Jun 21, 2021 8:14 PM in response to HWTech

Greatly appreciate your response. Not sure I understand all of what you are trying to tell, I do have a Retina model with a 3rd party (Transcend JetDrive) installed, which has been working without issues for nearly a year. The screenshot I've just taken from DU shows the external original Apple. As I mentioned to Niel, I am planning to swop the Transcend with the original Apple to seen if it will still work. Also put the Transcend SSD in it's original ext. housing to see if it works. Will keep you guys posted.

Jun 21, 2021 10:52 AM in response to mqsasia

What version of macOS installer were you booting when booting into Recovery Mode? Sometimes a Mac will not boot into the proper online macOS installer and instead boots to the oldest online macOS installer. If you have a Retina model laptop with a third party SSD installed, then you need to be booting to the macOS 10.13+ installer. Older versions of macOS will not be able to see a third party NVMe SSD since older versions of macOS lack the necessary NVMe SSD driver.

If you are booting to macOS 10.13+, then within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. If you do this with macOS 10.13+ and you don't see the internal SSD, then either the SSD, SSD adapter, or the Logic Board is bad.

Jun 21, 2021 8:06 PM in response to Niel

Greatly appreciate your response. The Transcend JetDrive has been working for a year without any issues, so I am guessing that rules out the not properly connected. My plan is to replace it with the 256Gb original Macbook ssd that sits now in the external Transcend housing and through which my macbook is now running. I will then put the Transcend ssd in the original Transcend housing to see if it works. I have a complete back up of everything on my iCloud.

Jun 21, 2021 8:24 PM in response to mqsasia

You are booted to an older version of macOS as shown by the old version of Disk Utility in your photos. If the Transcend SSD is an NVMe SSD, then it is no surprise Disk Utility doesn't see the internal SSD. If the Transcend SSD is a SATA based PCIe SSD, then it should be seen by Disk Utility.

Let us know how the SSD swap goes.

Jun 22, 2021 6:33 PM in response to HWTech

It's all good now, I fixed it yesterday by swapping the Transcend for the original Mac SSD, did a clean install of Big Sur and used the Migration Assistant to reinstall the latest copy from my Time Machine for which I was using a separate external SSD.

Meanwhile I have contacted Transcend to inform them that their SSD has died, lets see if they are true to their word (5 year warranty)!

SSD has disappeared from Disc Utility only OS X Base system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.