Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

24” imac external storage/time machine solution

Hello all.

I’ve ordered the new 24” imac to replace my 2008 imac. I purchased the one with extra ports on the rear. My problem is how I elegantly add a 4 tb ssd for music/pics/videos and a 8tb hdd for time machine?

• A simple enclosure plugged into the computer?
  • A NAS enclosure plugged into the WiFi router?
  • A NAS enclosure plugged into the Ethernet port on the imac power block?

(I’ll mostly only use the 4tb ssd for unloading pictures and videos from my devices to it and playing music stored on it.)

I’ve been tearing out my hair doing deep research into one option only to reverse corse and dive into the other option without knowing really what I was looking at. I started worrying about write/read speeds but don’t really know what speed I need.

Thank you for any insight you might have in this.

(I’m also looking to purchase a new WiFi router if there are any that will work better on this system)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 11:08 AM

+1 on the OWC external SSDs:

Envoy Pro EX with USB-C or USB 3 - best from a speed vs price standpoint

OWC Envoy Pro EX with Thunderbolt 3 - fastest if you have a Thunderbolt 3 port but more expensive

OWC Envoy Pro mini - best for laptops

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200 RPM Storage - excellent choice for Time Machine use. 

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 11:08 AM in response to Keith Barkley

+1 on the OWC external SSDs:

Envoy Pro EX with USB-C or USB 3 - best from a speed vs price standpoint

OWC Envoy Pro EX with Thunderbolt 3 - fastest if you have a Thunderbolt 3 port but more expensive

OWC Envoy Pro mini - best for laptops

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200 RPM Storage - excellent choice for Time Machine use. 

Jun 21, 2021 5:06 PM in response to ADKApple

One question you didn't ask will you be able to have two of your 4 USB C ports always connected to the devices you mentioned above. If so any of the options suggested will work.

I've been using a tool called Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups. Nightly backups to an HDD 300GB takes 1hr 28mins, a weekly backup of 364GB takes 38mins. If you backup to a HDD with Time machine your initial backup will take awhile. After that it really won't matter if you are backing up to a SSD or a HDD.

An SSD for for music/pics/videos will only make copying files to and from the device quicker. I don't think either HDD or SSD will matter from a speed stand point except at the point of copy.

Connections via Ethernet will be the fastest. Based on your question a NAS might be overkill and you can setup a NAS to handle Time machine backups. I like the Synology brand NAS myself. Here is how I would connect things. Ethernet on new imac to a switch the switch to a wifi router's Ethernet port and then NAS to another of the wifi router's Ethernet port.

For wifi router I would look for a Wifi 6 capable router. I'm using a mesh configuration with EERO Pro 6s.

my configuration is Internet --> cable modem --> 8 port switch (connected to jacks in house walls) --> 8 port switch --> imac.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Jun 21, 2021 6:29 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith, I’m not sure. The last I read from CCC is that with the new way Apple is doing things CCC doesn't recommend creating a bootable clone anymore and recommends restoring the system from recovery mode and then a CCC restore to get your system back to where it was before you wiped the drive.

I'm on a 2020 iMac 27" which is Intel so I haven't been checking too closely about Apple Silicon macs. I would check out their documentation on the CCC site for specific details.

Hope this helps.

Paul

24” imac external storage/time machine solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.