Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur creates a strange shutdown; incompatible with something, but what???

Ever since Big Sur installed itself, when I shut down my (2 month old) iMac the screen flashes totally black and then the usual background reappears divided in two: the left half has a dull filter over it while the right half is bright 5K. There is a clear line down the middle of the two halves.

I tried deleting apps and sometimes got a normal shutdown, sometimes not.

Tried ejecting every single attached drive or USB device and sometimes got a normal shutdown, sometimes not.

WIPED THE ENTIRE HARD DRIVE BACK TO FACTORY SETTINGS and reinstalled from Time Machine only user settings and apps, and the problem came right back, so it's somewhere in the user settings or apps. (I have been deleting non-essential apps left and right.)

Apple Support has not been helpful. They ended up sending me to the Apple Store where the computer was examined and restored to factory settings. It is not a hardware issue, so they don't seem to know what to do.

I don't want to go back to factory settings again. I have already lost almost a week of work over this.

I need a basic way to inventory what there is about my user settings or apps that could be conflicting with Big Sur.

Is it hard to run a diagnostic that does that?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 5:25 PM

You might be able to perform this. The trade-off is a great deal of tedious and detailed work to find all the components and extensions and then remove. If time is pressed - not for the faint of heart.

Other option is perhaps what has already been done here >> How to erase an Intel-based Mac << then >> How to reinstall macOS <<

OR

If really wanting a totally Wipe and Install How to create a bootable installer for macOS and choose Big Sur. Note: This would have to be perform from and on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur. Also, if going this route be sure to have a TM Backup and if possible a Bootable Clone on a separate External Drive - Insurance Policy. Then disconnect all external drive except the Bootable Installer and shutdown. Restart and hold the Option key immediately at startup and keep holding until the Boot-up Manager presents and choose the USB Installer. The option present will be much like Recovery Mode. Choose Disk Utilities >> View and View All Attached Devices. Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes listed indented below ) and choose the Erase and choose APFS with the GUID Partition Map >> Erase and now the drive is 100% Erased and not do-overs. Back out of Disk Utilities and choose Install macOs and just follow the prompts. It will maybe reboot several time until the final reboot and preset Setup Assist for Big Sur.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 5:25 PM in response to SAJ-FSP

You might be able to perform this. The trade-off is a great deal of tedious and detailed work to find all the components and extensions and then remove. If time is pressed - not for the faint of heart.

Other option is perhaps what has already been done here >> How to erase an Intel-based Mac << then >> How to reinstall macOS <<

OR

If really wanting a totally Wipe and Install How to create a bootable installer for macOS and choose Big Sur. Note: This would have to be perform from and on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur. Also, if going this route be sure to have a TM Backup and if possible a Bootable Clone on a separate External Drive - Insurance Policy. Then disconnect all external drive except the Bootable Installer and shutdown. Restart and hold the Option key immediately at startup and keep holding until the Boot-up Manager presents and choose the USB Installer. The option present will be much like Recovery Mode. Choose Disk Utilities >> View and View All Attached Devices. Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes listed indented below ) and choose the Erase and choose APFS with the GUID Partition Map >> Erase and now the drive is 100% Erased and not do-overs. Back out of Disk Utilities and choose Install macOs and just follow the prompts. It will maybe reboot several time until the final reboot and preset Setup Assist for Big Sur.

Jun 21, 2021 12:23 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you! I did as you suggested and ran the report. Actually, I ran it once and read through the Minor Issues and (probably acting too fast) acted on some of them, removing files that were singled out for removal, even though none of them were really malicious. Then I shut down (the black flashing issue was even worse this time) and ran the report again. It is the second report that is attached.

For sure the solution is hidden in here somewhere.

Jun 21, 2021 9:54 AM in response to SAJ-FSP

Since one has already done a Wipe in Re-install then the Restore aspects back via TM Backup - as you have discovered - the problem was re-introduced back into the virgin installation. As apposed to doing another wipe and clean install and Not bringing back the Old problem >>

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a Trusted Developer and well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Jun 21, 2021 2:01 PM in response to SAJ-FSP

[Running] com.tunnelbear.mac.tbeard.plist (TunnelBear, Inc. - installed 2017-10-24) - Not really required unless Mandated by HQ for off-site connection to HQ

[Other] com.wdc.SmartwareDriveService.plist (? b71286b - installed 2013-11-11) - Outdated and check for Big Sur Compatible

[Other] com.wdc.WDSmartWareService.plist (? dbb7e753 - installed 2013-11-11) - Outdated and check for Big Sur Compatible

Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X (? - installed 2014-03-07) - Outdated and check for Big Sur Compatible

Above is a very quick review and will look deeper tomorrow or unless other More Learned ASC Contributor chip in here with additional insights

Jun 21, 2021 2:10 PM in response to SAJ-FSP

As already noted, you defeated the the whole purpose of the clean install by then migrating applications and settings and, presumably, other files.

As can be seen in the report, there are a number of old things, besides what P. Philips already mentioned. You have stuff related to Adobe CS3, which is probably a decade old! You also have Soundflower 1.6.6, which is incompatible with Big Sur. And perhaps others, as it’s no so easy to go through all this on my small iPhone screen.

Jun 21, 2021 2:34 PM in response to PRP_53

It is next to impossible to do a wipe and reinstall here because of our firewall (and it is really hard to dismantle my office and carry a 27" iMac around to the only non-firewalled ethernet plug in this place). (I am in a big convent.) At this point I am hoping there is some way to delete the problems one by one. I was hoping (and praying) that I could delete the problem one by one!!!!!

Jun 21, 2021 2:35 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you. I thought I had deleted Soundflower yesterday, and CS3 a while ago on my old computer. I guess relics remain. Can they be deleted one by one? We have a terribly secure firewall and it made the reinstallation even of the OS impossible here, eventually causing the computer to not even start. I am terrified of attempting anything like that again.

Jun 22, 2021 6:25 AM in response to PRP_53

I don't mind tedium. I don't really see any other way, given our physical and firewall limitations here.

We have one IT person for a massive complex (and today she is off-site).

Our firewall situation makes a nice fresh start really hard: the final step is a verification of the OS which requires an unimpeded Internet connection, and there is something about Apple using different ports that make it impossible for our IT department to just establish a set pathway once and for all for the scattered Mac users in the complex. So even when the OS updates, it hits the firewall and gets messed up.

That is why I thought that my problems were solved when the Apple Store did the factory reset: I assumed that all the problems were from the last OS updates getting tangled up in our firewall. Clearly I was wrong!!!! But it is a little late for hindsight.

Still, if I can hunt and delete files safely, I am willing to do that. I just don't know what is safe to do.

Big Sur creates a strange shutdown; incompatible with something, but what???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.