Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro Constantly Powered On

I'm considering using an iPad Pro to run Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) applications in my emergency response vehicles. To do so, it would require that the iPad always be powered on and connected to a charger. I'm looking for information on how this will affect the battery / life of the unit?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 4:17 PM

Having an iPad continuously powered for extended periods is not an issue - as this is common practice in POS (Point of Sale) and Kiosk applications.

iPad will optimally manage battery charging - and may automatically change its charging strategy by reducing the maximum battery charge level to about 80% of maximum capacity. This strategy is intended to extend the life of the battery by reducing chemical ageing that occurs when the battery is continuously maintained 100% charge. When a “normal” charge/discharge pattern is resumed, charge to full capacity is restored.

More information about iPad’s battery management can be found here:

About iPad and iPhone Charge Management Feature – Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2021 4:17 PM in response to RLFire

Having an iPad continuously powered for extended periods is not an issue - as this is common practice in POS (Point of Sale) and Kiosk applications.

iPad will optimally manage battery charging - and may automatically change its charging strategy by reducing the maximum battery charge level to about 80% of maximum capacity. This strategy is intended to extend the life of the battery by reducing chemical ageing that occurs when the battery is continuously maintained 100% charge. When a “normal” charge/discharge pattern is resumed, charge to full capacity is restored.

More information about iPad’s battery management can be found here:

About iPad and iPhone Charge Management Feature – Apple Support

iPad Pro Constantly Powered On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.