Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad pro 5th gen low front camera quality

I just got my l9ng awaited 5th gen iPad Pro 12.9 and I’m horribly disappointed. I regularly use Snapchat to send selfie’s and the front camera image quality is horrible. Massively low resolution and pixelated even in the brightest conditions. I used a new pro 12.9” 11” and a regular iPad Air and the quality difference between the pros and the Air was astounding. My 4th gen iPad Pro took fine selfies. Is this something to do with the ultra wide lens? I’m seriously considering returning it but I’m wondering why there seems to be no discussion around this and if anyone knows if a software update might be coming to fix it.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 3:09 AM

Whilst the front camera has a higher pixel count than many other iPad models, the ultra-wide camera lens reduces the effective resolution. Whilst the ultra wide front camera is perhaps very effective when used with video conferencing and the new Centre Stage feature, the camera is perhaps much less useful for photography - in particular “selfies” - for which iPhone is better optimised.

A software update can only change exposure parameters - and image precessing, such as the software image correction that attempts to correct the wide-angle image distortion that is typical of very wide-angle lenses. Future software updates cannot change fundamental characteristics of the camera itself.

As for the possibility of future software updates that change camera functionality - if, what and when is known only to Apple.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 3:09 AM in response to SecretAlpaca

Whilst the front camera has a higher pixel count than many other iPad models, the ultra-wide camera lens reduces the effective resolution. Whilst the ultra wide front camera is perhaps very effective when used with video conferencing and the new Centre Stage feature, the camera is perhaps much less useful for photography - in particular “selfies” - for which iPhone is better optimised.

A software update can only change exposure parameters - and image precessing, such as the software image correction that attempts to correct the wide-angle image distortion that is typical of very wide-angle lenses. Future software updates cannot change fundamental characteristics of the camera itself.

As for the possibility of future software updates that change camera functionality - if, what and when is known only to Apple.

Jul 14, 2021 6:50 AM in response to Ipog108

To reiterate the salient points…

• Whilst the front camera has a higher pixel count than many other iPad models, the ultra-wide camera lens reduces the effective resolution.

• A software update can only change exposure parameters - and image precessing, such as the software image correction that attempts to correct the wide-angle image distortion that is typical of very wide-angle lenses. Future software updates cannot change fundamental characteristics of the camera itself.

Jul 14, 2021 6:11 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi I have recently bought the latest iPad Pro 2021 11inch model and find that the front camera is terrible for zoom calls. When I open the normal video function from the ‘camera’, app, the resolution is slightly better, but when I open up on zoom conference calls, its terrible, and I can’t even edit the look. The lighting is very dim, and the image is blurry. Can anyone help me with this, as one of the reasons I invested so much in this model was that it had a 12 MP front camera which was supposed to give me better video during conference calls, than my previous MacBook Air with a front camera of only 7MP. Pls help. Otherwise I am seriously considering returning this product.

Jul 14, 2021 6:39 AM in response to LotusPilot

You state the following:

"Whilst the ultra wide front camera is perhaps very effective when used with video conferencing and the new Centre Stage feature".

My point is this is much worse than older models. The video conferencing is awful. The picture is low resolution and in some cases when centering is on, it's even grainy and pixelated. So I'm not taking photos.

Is it possible to get this corrected?

Jul 14, 2021 9:02 AM in response to LotusPilot

I don’t want to be that guy but what he’s saying is the front camera on the new iPad is terrible and the 4th gen one is better for most everyday uses except if you happen to use a wide angle lens function which I don’t and it sounds like you don’t either. I tried to return mine to get and older one but eas past the return windor. Needless to say super disappointed in this “improved” model that I waited so long for. Buyer beware if you want to use this for anything involving the front camera.

ipad pro 5th gen low front camera quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.