You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Migration Assistant to newer Mac and USB Stick backup?

So I have a 2011 iMac running fine on 10.13.6 and also have a blank Macbook Pro 13'' which I want to install Catalina and make a back up of my iMac

Catalina 10.5.7 seems the latest and best bet, as few issues with Big Sur and a couple of plug-ins not working yet.

Came across Migration Assistant for the first time, needing it, and it looks perfect!

My iMac total is only around 70Gb for everything, and wanted to 'clone' this to the MBP.

I don't mind if a few things don't work or theres a hiccup or two, but i think Migration Assistant might do most of the hard work for me.

Whilst doing this, could I also use Migration Assistant to back up everything to a USB Stick, like a 128Gb USB drive?

Would this transfer over to the stick as an iMac back up and could be used if needed with all the programs, system files in the correct place (instead of me dragging things in folders over one by one and them not being in the correct directories?)

Anyone have experience with Migration Assistant and moving everything to a slightly newer Mac? Obviously I'd test and run projects on the newer MBP to see if everything works, and still keep the iMac as backup, but at the same time a fresh new 128Gb stick with an identical back up would be wise I guess?

Would this work at all?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 6:30 AM

For any backup use Time Machine which will do all the work and can be used to restore your Mac at a later date if needed. Use an external drive (not USB stick). Mechanical drives are inexpensive and will work better than a flash drive. I would make a TM backup of your iMac then set up your Mac Book and use that to restore your settings, files, etc, during initial setup.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2021 6:30 AM in response to pitchfork

For any backup use Time Machine which will do all the work and can be used to restore your Mac at a later date if needed. Use an external drive (not USB stick). Mechanical drives are inexpensive and will work better than a flash drive. I would make a TM backup of your iMac then set up your Mac Book and use that to restore your settings, files, etc, during initial setup.

Jun 22, 2021 6:10 AM in response to pitchfork

Yes, this would work but not exactly as you describe it.

You will want to run Migration Assistant on the MBP. And have the iMac connected to it via a cable. The process will run much faster that way. You could also make a backup of the iMac but I would recommend not doing that while the migration is in process. I would also not recommend using a USB stick as your backup media. They aren't reliable for long term storage.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Jun 22, 2021 6:40 AM in response to tbirdvet

I've never used Time Machine and always just started again with a new Mac, but as this Mac is only a little newer (and a stop gap before an M1 Mac), i think i could just carbon copy clone it with Migration Assistant, from one to the other.

I only have a spare USB 128GB drive that would be perfect to make a backup of the iMac, which I thought maybe worth while doing at the same time (well, after actually) to see if it works.

Would the Migration Assistant just push everything onto the newer Macbook and it work exactly the same as the iMac, so plug-ins, programs, passwords, would all just work identically without me installing things again?

Mac Migration Assistant to newer Mac and USB Stick backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.