Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why all new albums in Photos

Although I use Photos more and more, I still keep a file of all my photos arranged as I like them (use Lightroom). Earlier this month, I upped my iCloud storage to 2T and created a folder to upload and store items not associated with Documents or Apple Photos. One of the items uploaded was a huge file of 'click art' items. I then decided to upload, for storage purposes, my 'Picture Albums' file. It's been a few weeks since I actually looked at Photos beyond the current stuff taken/recorded. Today I did and see many, many, many albums having been added to Apple Photos. These new albums all have an album inside that includes the things from my clip art files and my Picture Albums that were uploaded to iCloud. Would pictures uploaded to iCloud be automatically added to Apple Photos? Gonna take me a while to sort through all these things and try to arrange them so I can remove duplicates, if necessary.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 11:25 AM

It sounds like you imported the folder of click-art image files (were there subfolders in that folder?) with the option in Photos to maintain folder organization. Then each Finder folder that is imported into the library will end up as an album inside a folder with the same name.

When I import that way I move the albums out of their respective folders and delete the folders. A bit of a pain but at least the photos are in albums as I want them.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 11:25 AM in response to DJMc

It sounds like you imported the folder of click-art image files (were there subfolders in that folder?) with the option in Photos to maintain folder organization. Then each Finder folder that is imported into the library will end up as an album inside a folder with the same name.

When I import that way I move the albums out of their respective folders and delete the folders. A bit of a pain but at least the photos are in albums as I want them.

Jun 22, 2021 5:50 AM in response to DJMc

A followup to above post: When I look at INFO for Photos Library on iMac, I seed it takes up 40 Gb. I look at Photos Library on a backup made a week ago that is 65 Gb. When I look at Photos in iCloud inside the SYS of iPhone, it reads 106.5 Gb. This is all very confusing. All because I uploaded extra files to iCloud??????

Jun 22, 2021 12:19 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

looking at your video—none of the pictures/albums that surprised me were located in the IMPORTS folder. I started to reconstruct the folder setup to match the arrangement of the original setup only to find some folders empty, some partially complete, and others with more pics inside. I’ve imported folders etc in the past to keep them organized, but this was so haphazard… I decided to delete all the pic/albums that were questionable as none of the shots were those I actually took and were well backed up already. Just wish I knew what I had done, accidentally, to have created the mess. Thanks for your input.

Why all new albums in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.