Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video sound muted

When I record a video on my iPhone the sound is muted and dimmed. I can’t unmute it nor hear the audio on the video.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 9:19 AM

Hey there! Sometimes, with the newer devices I notice that the orange "mic-in-use" light get's stuck in use after a phone call or a FaceTime and also after using my camera. Strange right?! Try swiping up and to the right from your Home Screen and check if your phone/FaceTime/video are still in-use; swipe up to close them if they are. While the mic is in-use you aren't able to record videos with sound because your device may be assuming that you're already using it for something else. As always, ensure that your iOS is up-to-date then try to restart your device and see if the problem still persists. Most times, I find that simply turning my iPhone off and giving a rest really helps with these little bug issues.

To check if your device is up-to-date go to

Settings > General > Software Update.

If it's current, it will say iOS 14.6 > iOS is up to date. If not, then it will prompt you to download and install. When I choose to restart my phone, I simply turn it off by holding the lock and power off. I choose to wait between 2 & 10 minutes before turning it back on. When you do finally turn it back on, go back to the Software update just to be sure it's still up-to-date. If it's up-to-date and the problem still continues, I would call Apple Support and see about replacing your device. Photos and videos are a major integral part of my usage so, personally if the problem continued I would request a new device. It can be pricey if you don't pay for the protection plans so be forewarned, but it's a requirement for me. Apple Support 800-692-7753

I hope this helps you 🧡

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 9:19 AM in response to abigale244

Hey there! Sometimes, with the newer devices I notice that the orange "mic-in-use" light get's stuck in use after a phone call or a FaceTime and also after using my camera. Strange right?! Try swiping up and to the right from your Home Screen and check if your phone/FaceTime/video are still in-use; swipe up to close them if they are. While the mic is in-use you aren't able to record videos with sound because your device may be assuming that you're already using it for something else. As always, ensure that your iOS is up-to-date then try to restart your device and see if the problem still persists. Most times, I find that simply turning my iPhone off and giving a rest really helps with these little bug issues.

To check if your device is up-to-date go to

Settings > General > Software Update.

If it's current, it will say iOS 14.6 > iOS is up to date. If not, then it will prompt you to download and install. When I choose to restart my phone, I simply turn it off by holding the lock and power off. I choose to wait between 2 & 10 minutes before turning it back on. When you do finally turn it back on, go back to the Software update just to be sure it's still up-to-date. If it's up-to-date and the problem still continues, I would call Apple Support and see about replacing your device. Photos and videos are a major integral part of my usage so, personally if the problem continued I would request a new device. It can be pricey if you don't pay for the protection plans so be forewarned, but it's a requirement for me. Apple Support 800-692-7753

I hope this helps you 🧡

Video sound muted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.