Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 using a lot of memory

Greetings

Why is my iPhone using over 70 % of available memory when I don't have a single App running .

I have tried switching it off then on but it makes no difference the system still uses a lot of memory .

Thx in advance .

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 12:23 PM

abdullateeffromkuwait Said:

"iPhone 12 using a lot of memory: Greetings Why is my iPhone using over 70 % of available memory when I don't have a single App running .I have tried switching it off then on but it makes no difference the system still uses a lot of memory .Thx in advance ."

-------

Try Clearing Space:

Many system resources may be being used by unnecessary items. So, consider performing the following...

A. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also..

B. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

C. Clear "Other":

Clear the storages named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 12:23 PM in response to abdullateeffromkuwait

"iPhone 12 using a lot of memory: Greetings Why is my iPhone using over 70 % of available memory when I don't have a single App running .I have tried switching it off then on but it makes no difference the system still uses a lot of memory .Thx in advance ."

-------

Try Clearing Space:

Many system resources may be being used by unnecessary items. So, consider performing the following...

A. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also..

B. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

C. Clear "Other":

Clear the storages named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips

Jun 22, 2021 4:18 PM in response to abdullateeffromkuwait

"iPhone 12 using a lot of memory: Thx for your reply .Most of what you said has to do with the phones disk storage . I didn't mean that . I meant the phone's RAM memory . The iPhone 12 has 4GB of RAM memory and a little over 3GB is being used in an idle state with no Apps running .[...]"

-------

System Resources:

I'm mentioning to clear the space because it is the RAM having all of this issue. As I said: Many system resources may be being used by unnecessary items. So, that would be what is hauling up all this RAM. So clear all the space of "Other", and you may be just fine from there.

Jun 23, 2021 8:03 PM in response to abdullateeffromkuwait

"Thank you for your help .: The memory has gone down further . Very nice phone by the way . I am glad I switched from Android ."

-------

You are welcome.

Provide Apple Feedback:

Do your Part: Let Apple know about why it is a very nice. The more feedback they received, the more they will know what suits their customers needs and desires.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Performance" for the "Feedback type"
  3. Comment: on (A)why you think it is a very nice phone, and (B)why you are glad I switched from Android.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary.

Jun 22, 2021 7:49 PM in response to abdullateeffromkuwait

"I didn't think of that . What you said has helped a bit . Memory usage has gone down to 60% ."

-------

👍 Great to Hear it is Down:

What Else to Try:

A. Updating your iPhone:

See if your phone needs an update. Rather than seeing if the iPhone itself says so, see what happens when you attempt an update through use of your computer. Use the following link:

Use this link: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

B. Remove Security Software:

Security Software may be running in the background (i.e. scanning for viruses and such). Security Software is unneeded on an Apple device, as it just gets in the way, and this is a pure example of and why. To uninstall it on an iPhone, just hold you finder down on the icon util it wiggles, and then tap the white-colored, encircled letter "i".

as a last resort...

C. Restore your iPhone from a Backup:

Have any backups of this iPhone prior to this occurrence? If so, then restore your iPhone from it. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your device prior to making any major change to it(which may be the case here). Important: Back up you iPhone prior to performing this installation, should anything go wrong from here on out.

Jun 22, 2021 1:51 PM in response to TheLittles

Thx for your reply .

Most of what you said has to do with the phones disk storage . I didn't mean that . I meant the phone's RAM memory .

The iPhone 12 has 4GB of RAM memory and a little over 3GB is being used in an idle state with no Apps running .

Only around 2% of the CPU is being used . I would have expected the RAM memory to be the same .

It is not a problem , the phone is not lagging . I was just curious why this is the case .

iPhone 12 using a lot of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.