Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to update my os from a different computer?

I'm trying to repair an old mac desktop, I need to update to HIgh Sierra. The download reliably fails, so I'm wondering if it's possible to download it to my my good macbook and load it onto the other one?

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 2:13 PM

Hello, hughmannface.

Yes, you can download the High Sierra update with another Mac that is capable of running High Sierra - one that did NOT originally ship with Mojave or Catalina. You can download the installer at the link provided below and carry it over to your other Mac via USB drive or flash drive.

These Mac models are compatible with macOS High Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)

• MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

• MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)

• Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)

• iMac (Late 2009 or newer)

• Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

- Download the macOS 10.13 High Sierra upgrade installer here:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

(Don’t use FireFox for this link)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 2:13 PM in response to hughmannface

Hello, hughmannface.

Yes, you can download the High Sierra update with another Mac that is capable of running High Sierra - one that did NOT originally ship with Mojave or Catalina. You can download the installer at the link provided below and carry it over to your other Mac via USB drive or flash drive.

These Mac models are compatible with macOS High Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)

• MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

• MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)

• Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)

• iMac (Late 2009 or newer)

• Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

- Download the macOS 10.13 High Sierra upgrade installer here:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

(Don’t use FireFox for this link)

Jun 22, 2021 9:30 PM in response to hughmannface

Unfortunately no, there is not a workaround for this particular limitation. If you have or know someone who has an older Mac perhaps you can use that to download the installer you want.

Alternatively you could try to download a different earlier macOS version with this old computer.

Also, make sure you’re using Safari to download these installers. It’s understood that Firefox won’t cut it.

Is it possible to update my os from a different computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.