Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air not charging

hey my laptop fell about 20inches off the ground. It’s no longer charging, it says “Power Source: Power Adapter, Battery is not charging” and it’s currently on 4%

i turned it off and on twice. I used “Ctrl” “Option” “Shift” “Power” to reboot it.

i really don’t know what to do and all the stores are closed in my country because of the pandemic. Is there anything else that can be done

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 5:32 PM

rae158 Said:

"MacBook Air not charging: hey my laptop fell about 20inches off the ground. It’s no longer charging, it says “Power Source: Power Adapter, Battery is not charging” and it’s currently on 4% i turned it off and on twice. I used “Ctrl” “Option” “Shift” “Power” to reboot it. i really don’t know what to do and all the stores are closed in my country because of the pandemic. Is there anything else that can be done"

-------

What to Do:

I. To Start: Use another computer, in the meantime. Ask a friend, or peer, if you may use theirs, if you do not have another computer handy (with their permission, of course).

II. Troubleshooting Power:

A. Please Clarify:

• Did you install an update?
  • Have you had battery issues before?
  • Has this Mac been serviced recently?
  • What were you working on when this happened?

B. Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2021 5:32 PM in response to rae158

rae158 Said:

"MacBook Air not charging: hey my laptop fell about 20inches off the ground. It’s no longer charging, it says “Power Source: Power Adapter, Battery is not charging” and it’s currently on 4% i turned it off and on twice. I used “Ctrl” “Option” “Shift” “Power” to reboot it. i really don’t know what to do and all the stores are closed in my country because of the pandemic. Is there anything else that can be done"

-------

What to Do:

I. To Start: Use another computer, in the meantime. Ask a friend, or peer, if you may use theirs, if you do not have another computer handy (with their permission, of course).

II. Troubleshooting Power:

A. Please Clarify:

• Did you install an update?
  • Have you had battery issues before?
  • Has this Mac been serviced recently?
  • What were you working on when this happened?

B. Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Jun 22, 2021 5:35 PM in response to rae158

rae158 Said:

"MacBook Air not charging: hey my laptop fell about 20inches off the ground.[...]i really don’t know what to do and all the stores are closed in my country because of the pandemic. Is there anything else that can be done"

-------

Getting this Serviced:

You would either:

So, Get this Serviced:

• Retailer: Contact your local retailer, seeing if they replace iPhone batteries. Also, take this to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service provider, asking for assistance
  • Apple: Use Send-In Service. Consider including notes, such as where you notice things like heat and fans.  Go Here fore More: Send-In Service - Include Handwritten Notes with the Packaging - User Tip.
  • AASP: Contact an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider)
  1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

Contacting Apple Support:

Why the Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due do lots of calls. And this makes sense, because with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Jun 23, 2021 12:05 AM in response to rae158

rae158 Said:

"MacBook Air not charging: This is what it reads. Thank you so very much for continuing to help me. I really appreciate this!"

-------

Thank you for the Screenshot.

So, it has gone up a percent. It seems like slow charging might be what is occurring here. For charging concerns, here are some things to try:

A. Start with this Link: Diagnose Battery Issues - Apple Support

B. Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes(i.e. formats) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac. Perhaps the keyboard's settings for it keys are mingled. It might take upto three tries to reset both. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

C. Damaged Hardware:

Look for debris in the ports, or bent hardware.

D. Try a New Charger:

When troubleshooting the charge, start with a new charging cable, seeing where things go from there. Purchase one from Apple.

Jun 22, 2021 9:55 PM in response to rae158

rae158 Said:

"MacBook Air not charging: I can get into the laptop like I normally would. It’s stuck at 3% once the charger is in, the charge just isn’t improving."

-------

Got ya. 👍

So, verify the Condition of your Mac's battery.

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: About This Mac
  3. Click: System Report button
  4. Select: Hardware on the far-left
  5. Select: Power
  6. View: Battery Information
  7. View: Health Information
  8. View: Condition

What does it read?

Screenshot:

Personal information blocked out.

Jun 23, 2021 12:19 AM in response to rae158

rae158 Said:

"MacBook Air not charging: [...]hey my laptop fell about 20inches off the ground. It’s no longer charging, it says “Power Source: Power Adapter, Battery is not charging” and it’s currently on 4%[...]"

-------

Getting this Serviced:

As for getting this serviced, Apple does not cover accidental coverage. So, that is why an AASP would be the way to go from here. If it is a hardware issue, it may be the connector between the battery and the LogicBoard. However, with no service around (due to COVID, or just nothing existing), use another computer, for now.

Learn from This: 🙂

In all, and on a positive note, BTW :) take this as a Learning Experience, knowing to always keep a good eye on it, and not let it fall.

What I've Used for Cases:

Jun 22, 2021 7:52 PM in response to TheLittles

Hey I appreciate the reply. Very few retail stores in Trinidad are opened at the moment due to Covid-19 and tech related retail businesses aren’t one of them so I can’t get it looked at for quite some time.

I installed an update whilst I realized there was some trouble hoping that it’d rectify the situation but it didn’t.

I’ve never had issues with my laptop before and it was never serviced.

I was watching a Netflix show when the battery ran low and I plugged it in only to realize that it wasn’t working.

I bought a new charger 2months ago so I think that problem has been ruled out. I also swapped with someone else and same issue.

I tried doing the System Management Controller (SMC) multiple times without a positive response.

Jun 22, 2021 8:33 PM in response to rae158

rae158 Said:

"Hey I appreciate the reply. Very few retail stores in Trinidad are opened at the moment due to Covid-19 and tech related retail businesses aren’t one of them so I can’t get it looked at for quite some time."

-------

Thanks for the information.

Know anyone you can send this Mac to --- Someone you know and trust who can get this device serviced? If so, send it off to them.

So, you cannot get back in to this laptop anymore. Is that correct?

Jun 24, 2021 5:58 PM in response to rae158

Just so you know, the normal life span of a battery is about 1000 cycles and yours is at 1073. Even though it may say "normal", I would interpret that as the battery will be slowly dying, so i would look at getting it replaced. Maybe not a rush right this minute, but I would definitely think about it. In the meantime, make sure you have a backup just in case.

What year/model is your device? There are some that you may be able to put in a new battery yourself.

MacBook Air not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.