Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange Admin. Remotely Manage your iOS device

When setting up my iPad/iPhone to use a MS Exchange email server I see the following message.

"Adding an exchange addount wil allow the Eschange administrator to remotely manage your device. The administrator and add/remove restrictions and remotely erase your devide. Eschange Device ID ...."

Is this true? To use an exchange server would allow the admin. to control my device. If not why would Apple provide this warning?

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 6:29 AM

Using personally owned devices with Corporate systems always runs the risk of enrolling your device into centralised management of the device.

Corporate organisations often have Acceptable Use Policies that either prohibit the use of non-corporate (i.e., personally owned) devices from accessing corporate networks or resources - or, where such use is permitted, require the user to accept that the business reserves the right to “manage” or erase data from devices that are used to access corporate assets. These restrictions are usually used to protect Intellectual Property or communications.

In such environments, if you are not comfortable ceding this level of control, the best advice is to keep personally owned devices for personal use - and only use corporate devices in that environment. Air-gapping personal and business matters is often the best policy for all.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 6:29 AM in response to SometimesCivilServernt

Using personally owned devices with Corporate systems always runs the risk of enrolling your device into centralised management of the device.

Corporate organisations often have Acceptable Use Policies that either prohibit the use of non-corporate (i.e., personally owned) devices from accessing corporate networks or resources - or, where such use is permitted, require the user to accept that the business reserves the right to “manage” or erase data from devices that are used to access corporate assets. These restrictions are usually used to protect Intellectual Property or communications.

In such environments, if you are not comfortable ceding this level of control, the best advice is to keep personally owned devices for personal use - and only use corporate devices in that environment. Air-gapping personal and business matters is often the best policy for all.

Jun 24, 2021 1:26 PM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPiolt,

The exchange server in question is actually a Club web site. They have decided to move to office 365. I am a volunteer and run one of the clubs committees. As such I am required to use there e-mail server.

It seem to be a bit overbearing to have to give all my privicy up to use an e-mail service.

Is there another way to access the Exchange Mail Service?

So who would be this mysterious administrator? The person who setup/manages the exchange service?

Exchange Admin. Remotely Manage your iOS device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.