You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t get my iPad to recognize my fingerprint know I will recognize my passcode What do I need to do to get it open

My iPad Air 4th generation ICannot get it to take my passcode nor my fingerprint it will not open up plus it says it’s not connected to the Internet and I can’t connected to the Internet because I cannot use the pass code nor my fingerprint

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 11:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 1:12 AM

While there is this support article about Touch ID and workaround, should it fail to work;

not certain how or why it hasn't functioned, according to directions in your instance.

• If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207537

"If the previous steps didn't help, you see "Failed—unable to complete Touch ID setup", or

either of the following happen when you go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode, take your

device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support:

• You can't turn on Touch ID
  • Touch ID is dimmed or grayed out

[The instructions cover variables, including these; while I'd guess you have already

visited the support page above, because your post here includes the URL within it.]

"You might need to enter your passcode or Apple ID instead of using Touch ID in these situations:

• You just restarted your device
  • Your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
  • You haven't unlocked your device in more than 48 hours 
  • You just enrolled or deleted fingerprints
  • You're trying to open Touch ID & Passcode in the Settings menu
  • You used Emergency SOS."

[If you have not read this companion article, please read for more info.]

Because your topic appears in 'macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra' community

not sure how these steps may, or may not, have functioned correctly.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2021 1:12 AM in response to everydaymom24

While there is this support article about Touch ID and workaround, should it fail to work;

not certain how or why it hasn't functioned, according to directions in your instance.

• If Touch ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207537

"If the previous steps didn't help, you see "Failed—unable to complete Touch ID setup", or

either of the following happen when you go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode, take your

device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support:

• You can't turn on Touch ID
  • Touch ID is dimmed or grayed out

[The instructions cover variables, including these; while I'd guess you have already

visited the support page above, because your post here includes the URL within it.]

"You might need to enter your passcode or Apple ID instead of using Touch ID in these situations:

• You just restarted your device
  • Your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
  • You haven't unlocked your device in more than 48 hours 
  • You just enrolled or deleted fingerprints
  • You're trying to open Touch ID & Passcode in the Settings menu
  • You used Emergency SOS."

[If you have not read this companion article, please read for more info.]

Because your topic appears in 'macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra' community

not sure how these steps may, or may not, have functioned correctly.

I can’t get my iPad to recognize my fingerprint know I will recognize my passcode What do I need to do to get it open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.