Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Persistent Sleep Wake Failure - How To Resolve?

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro (15", 2.53 GHz, i5) running High Sierra (10.13.6). Over the past several weeks, it has developed a problem where it is, frequently, crashing restarting. Eventually, it got to the point where it restarted several time per day. The crash report points to the same cause every time: Sleep Wake Failure. So far, I have tried all of the following to resolve:

1. SMC Reset --> Didn't fix it
  2. NVRAM Reset --> Didn't fix it
  3. Reinstall MacOS --> I thought I was, finally, in the clear. After a reinstall, I went two days without having an issue. Disappointingly, I woke up this morning to, once again, find the dreaded "your computer restarted because of a problem" dialog on my screen. Once again, a Sleep Wake Failure.

I have attached the, most recent, crash log. Maybe someone can interpret it and help me out. I don't know what else to try. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 2:25 PM

To follow up... the "Sleep Wake Failure" is both a symptom and trigger for the kernel panics I described above. Generally speaking, when the computer wants to determine which GPU to use (it has two, an inbuilt Intel and another discreet GPU) it has to switch cards. It's when the switch is made that the panic happens, like waking from sleep, switching from conservative gpu to performance gpu – the difference between reading mail and watching YouTube – and driving multiple monitors.

There are software patches for the problem, but they only mask it and compromise and cripple the performance of the computer.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 2:25 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

To follow up... the "Sleep Wake Failure" is both a symptom and trigger for the kernel panics I described above. Generally speaking, when the computer wants to determine which GPU to use (it has two, an inbuilt Intel and another discreet GPU) it has to switch cards. It's when the switch is made that the panic happens, like waking from sleep, switching from conservative gpu to performance gpu – the difference between reading mail and watching YouTube – and driving multiple monitors.

There are software patches for the problem, but they only mask it and compromise and cripple the performance of the computer.

Jun 23, 2021 12:07 PM in response to Cerebro

Maybe try looking into System Report> Software> Logs>

And in there, choose and look through likely suspects..

ASL (Apple System Log) Messages.

Diagnostic Messages.

Filesystem Repair Log.

..Among others here.

Simple things to attempt, to 'restart the Mac' can help.

Also try Safe mode on restart. (see 'Intel-mac' instruction)

Use macOS Recovery, & consider How to Re-install instructions.

This, to try to repair file system, etc.

(Make sure you have at least two great backups.)

Jun 23, 2021 1:27 PM in response to K Shaffer

Per K Shaffer's suggestion, I went to:

System Information --> Software --> Logs

ASL and File System Repair logs didn't really tell me anything. I looked at the Power Management logs. The section I reprinted, below, shows my Mac going into idle sleep, waking sometime later for maintenance, the failure at timestamp 02:42:57, then, the subsequent restart. Maybe there's something helpful, here, that might point to what happened?

Jun 23, 2021 9:06 AM in response to Cerebro

You want .panic files to understand what is causing your system to panic.

The .crash files are for applications and processes, and only the developer with source code can figure them out. In the example you posted, the accountd process crashed, which does not tell us anything about why your Mac panic'ed.

.panic files should be in:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Jun 23, 2021 12:56 PM in response to Cerebro

Hello, Cerebro.

Sorry to hear you're having this problem with your macBook Pro 15" mid-2010 computer.

It sounds to me like you've taken the right steps to mitigate the problem. Unfortunately, I'm going to suggest something you're not gonna like to hear.

The mid-2010 15" MBP is subject to a common and particular component failure on the main logic board. The symptoms you describe – "frequently, crashing restarting. Eventually, it got to the point where it restarted several time per day. The crash report points to the same cause every time: Sleep Wake Failure. " – are what's know as a kernel panic.

This leads me to suspect a failure in the graphics system, probably caused by the failure of a single, particular capacitor on the logic board.

If you google "kernel panic 2010 MBP" you'll find all sorts of link regarding the problem. In particular I'll point you to this YouTube video by Louis Rossman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzcgT_fiVTA

The short term fix is a logic board replacement that is subject to its own failure at any time.

The permanent fix requires replacement of that one failed capacitor on your logic board, something that can only be done with specialized equipment and skill.

So, continue to do your research, but this is what I suspect is going on.

Jun 28, 2021 7:14 AM in response to Cerebro

So far, it's been five days and the problem hasn't recurred. The failure was, most likely, to happen during long periods of sleep (i.e. several hours). Normally, when I'd step away from my computer for several hours, I would just let it sit and go into idle sleep. This past week, I have adjusted my behavior and started closing the screen (i.e. manually putting it to sleep) if I'm stepping away for several hours, or overnight. Obviously, a different sleep pattern. Maybe it helps? I have yet to be daring and let it go into idle sleep for a considerable amount to time to see if the problem comes back.

Persistent Sleep Wake Failure - How To Resolve?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.