Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware Removal Software

Does anyone know if the software 'SpyHunter' for Mac is legitimate and does it find the virus 'Safari redirect to Yahoo.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 7:01 AM

Do not use third party apps that claim to clean, protect, manage, boost performance, etc.

Your Mac does not have a "virus". It may have a third party malware or adware installed.

You can try changing the default search engine in Safari. You can try removing Safari extensions. Try shutting down Safari then while pressing and holding the shift key launch Safari. This will start Safari in a clean state.

You can try using MalwareBytes to find malware on your computer.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 7:01 AM in response to KENTLAKES

Do not use third party apps that claim to clean, protect, manage, boost performance, etc.

Your Mac does not have a "virus". It may have a third party malware or adware installed.

You can try changing the default search engine in Safari. You can try removing Safari extensions. Try shutting down Safari then while pressing and holding the shift key launch Safari. This will start Safari in a clean state.

You can try using MalwareBytes to find malware on your computer.

Jun 23, 2021 7:01 AM in response to KENTLAKES

KENTLAKES wrote:

Does anyone know if the software 'SpyHunter' for Mac is legitimate and does it find the virus 'Safari redirect to Yahoo.

Never heard of it...

If you suspect you have installed adware/malware:

>System Preferences>Profiles click into it and then remove all the suspicious things from the list. (This Preference pane will not be present if no profiles found.)

also Verify you are not using SOCKS proxy:

>System Preferences>Networks>Advanced>Proxy uncheck the box

Adware/malware launch daemons can set SOCKS proxies without user participation.

(SOCKS is an Internet protocol that exchanges network packets between a client and server through a proxy server.)

Adware Removal Guide—Manual removal of : http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-identification/

or

Try running this trusted utility: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Jun 23, 2021 8:43 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I must have tried 20 solutions without success and this solution was so easy. I was checking the default browser under 'System Preferences' which did say Safari, but I never checked the default search engine in 'Safari Preferences - Search. The default browser here was indeed set to Yahoo though I never knew that the search engine could be different under Safari preference and System Preference which was the problem here. Thank you !

I also never use third party apps unless I can find a review of the software in a reliable computer source, such as MacWorld, PC Magazine, Consumer Reports, et al. Given I could not find any reliable review or mention of SpyHunter in any legitimate source I decided to check with the Apple community, that was indeed a smart decision. Thank you again for helping to eliminate this obnoxious malware.

Malware Removal Software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.