Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malwarebytes not working

Genius Bar installed free version Malewarebytes a few years ago. Now not working on my 2016 MacBook Pro running OS 10.15.7 & Safari 14.0. I'm confused by info on their website. Is Malwarebytes still a recommended option? Any help re: current status of program would be really appreciated. Thanks~

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 10:54 AM

oh yes, don't worry, just go in finder and search "malwarebytes" and click on "this mac" to search everything on your mac for that term and unless its a log file made by your computer, delete it, basically deleting every remnant of malwarebytes, and redownload it at https://www.malwarebytes.com and click free download in the top right and just honestly follow all the following steps, i had this problem with my grandma's computer last week when i tried getting a hijacker virus off her computer, i tried using her version of malwarebytes but it wouldn't open, it was there, it wasn't showing a question mark (indicating missing crucial files), it just simply wouldn't work, so i deleted all stuff associated with malwarebytes and redownloaded it and it worked again, if you need anything else or have any more questions feel free to ask (also just to clarify one point, YES, it is definitely still recommended by apple, and actually even other big companies like discord and some others that i can't think of right now trust it, and even more companies that use network stuff like apparently amazon and google play from what i found actually trust it too to handle network protection (well, ok they have network protection of their own i'm sure but they just use it as an extra layer i'd presume))

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2020 10:54 AM in response to Kathcav

oh yes, don't worry, just go in finder and search "malwarebytes" and click on "this mac" to search everything on your mac for that term and unless its a log file made by your computer, delete it, basically deleting every remnant of malwarebytes, and redownload it at https://www.malwarebytes.com and click free download in the top right and just honestly follow all the following steps, i had this problem with my grandma's computer last week when i tried getting a hijacker virus off her computer, i tried using her version of malwarebytes but it wouldn't open, it was there, it wasn't showing a question mark (indicating missing crucial files), it just simply wouldn't work, so i deleted all stuff associated with malwarebytes and redownloaded it and it worked again, if you need anything else or have any more questions feel free to ask (also just to clarify one point, YES, it is definitely still recommended by apple, and actually even other big companies like discord and some others that i can't think of right now trust it, and even more companies that use network stuff like apparently amazon and google play from what i found actually trust it too to handle network protection (well, ok they have network protection of their own i'm sure but they just use it as an extra layer i'd presume))

Oct 29, 2020 12:31 PM in response to Kathcav

You can use it if you wish, but you don't need it. Not only does Mac malware require your consent to install, if you should ever be deceived into installing it it's easily removed without having to install anything else.

Read How to install adware for an illustrated description of typical deceptive tactics.

For general eradication instructions refer to this post, but if you want individual attention tailored to your specific concern by all means post a Discussion asking for help. You won't be ignored.

Oct 29, 2020 11:51 AM in response to Kathcav

Kathcav wrote:

Genius Bar installed free version Malewarebytes a few years ago. Now not working on my 2016 MacBook Pro running OS 10.15.7 & Safari 14.0. I'm confused by info on their website. Is Malwarebytes still a recommended option? Any help re: current status of program would be really appreciated. Thanks~

Malwarebytes is a program recommended by a number of people on these forums. Its original author was a long time forum member.

However, there's no particular reason to keep it loaded on your Mac all the time. I download the free version when I need to use it then delete it when I'm done. That way, I always have the latest version.

Oct 29, 2020 5:50 PM in response to Joshua p.

Joshua, Thanks for the quick response & the details of how to go at it. That was VERY helpful. I wound up with the 14 day trial of Premium, but no credit card was asked for, so I'm pretty confident I will be able to easily exit that in 2 weeks. I did have to give access to my full disc, but reading through comments about that, I decided to do that for the trial period. Thanks again for helping me. (Your grandmother is lucky to have you nearby!)

Be well.

Oct 29, 2020 6:00 PM in response to John Galt

Dear John Galt, Thanks for responding. I am reading the first article & will also get to the 2nd. Thanks also for your encouragement to continue to seek help on this page. This community is intimidating in your knowledge level, but the willingness to help others out is both generous & notable. A light in the craziness of 2020! Thanks again~

Oct 29, 2020 6:06 PM in response to Kathcav

Just wonder what you mean by "not working"? What exactly isn't working about it? Is it not detecting any malware, freezing, or instantly going through your files and reporting clean? As the answerer suggested, it probably was hijacked by malware as this is an obvious advantage if malware can defeat virus scanners. Just wondering though what your symptoms were.

Also, if you are downloading other virus scan software from the Official Mac App Store be VERY careful about the programs you choose to download. A top selling anti virus scan in the Mac App Store "Antivirus Zap" has files that VirusTotal detect as malware and is sold by a sketchy developer. Currently #2 top selling app in the Business Category too. Used to be called something else until Apple finally banned the developer who just made a new developer account repackaged the same program bought a bunch of fake reviews and its top of the charts again.

Oct 29, 2020 7:55 PM in response to John Galt

"Not only does Mac malware require your consent to install, if you should ever be deceived into installing it it's easily removed without having to install anything else."

How did you determine this to be true? I find this to be an overly broad statement to be possible and also is counter intuitive. Who would give their consent for malware to install?

Malwarebytes not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.