Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Mailboxes and Contents

I had to wipe and restore a damaged drive that contained my system and applications. After reinstalling Apple Mail all my saved emails, some with important numbers and reminders, were gone. I have that drive saved on Time Machine. Is there any way to recover those emails from there?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 1:00 PM

4 replies

Jun 24, 2021 11:08 AM in response to GeoPud

Hi GeoPud,

If we're understanding things correctly, you're looking to try and recover some content from a Time Machine backup. We can certainly help out with that.

If you'd like to restore the Mac fully from that backup, and not solely the emails/reminders/contacts, this page will walk you through the process: Restore your Mac from a backup

You can instead opt to restore specific files via this link's assistance: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac

Take care!

Jun 25, 2021 12:46 PM in response to GeoPud

GeoPud,

We can help to clarify further so that you may restore the desired contents from Time Machine.

When following the guide on restoring a particular app's files (see here: Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac ), it will note "On your Mac, open a window for the item you want to restore. For example, to recover a file you accidentally deleted from your Documents folder, open the Documents folder." So for emails to be restored from the Mail app, first open a Mail window.

Then, proceed with the same guide to launch Time Machine, and it should show the different 'ticks' on the right side, representing different backups. Select the desired date/backup in here, and then you may restore the content as needed. Restored items will then return to their original location.

We hope that helps out a bit.

Lost Mailboxes and Contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.