Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn on and off photos taken within iMessage being saved to Camera Roll

Bring back the setting toggle to not have Photos taken within iMessage automatically be saved to the Camera Roll. I have submitted a feature request for this as well. Maybe I am the only one that would enjoy bringing this feature back but it was great not having all those photos automatically saved. I have my iMessages back up to iCloud and when I take a photo within iMessage there is copy in iMessage save to iCloud and then a copy saved to Photos app which is backed up to iCloud taking up more space. There should be the option to not have the photos automatically save to your camera roll.

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 3:48 PM

nolan. wrote:

Bring back the setting toggle to not have Photos taken within iMessage automatically be saved to the Camera Roll. I have submitted a feature request for this as well. Maybe I am the only one that would enjoy bringing this feature back but it was great not having all those photos automatically saved. I have my iMessages back up to iCloud and when I take a photo within iMessage there is copy in iMessage save to iCloud and then a copy saved to Photos app which is backed up to iCloud taking up more space. There should be the option to not have the photos automatically save to your camera roll.

You've already done the feedback, you'll have to wait and see if Apple does it or not.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 3:48 PM in response to nolan.

nolan. wrote:

You've already done the feedback, you'll have to wait and see if Apple does it or not.

Turn on and off photos taken within iMessage being saved to Camera Roll

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.