Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What next after downloading Mac OS Big Sur?

Greetings & thank you.

I downloaded Big Sur OS onto my MBP and quit the installed as suggested. My Flash drive is formatted and ready to go. But the instructions do not explain what to do next with the downloaded OS??? Do I drag onto the USB Flash to create the boot disk? HELP!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 5:32 PM

Make certain the USB Drive is at least 16 GB and Formatted as HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map with the Drive Named Untitled for the Terminal command below >>

Big Sur via Terminal

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Notation - in above instructions Untitled matches the Untitled in the terminal command to create the Bootable Installer of Big Sur

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 5:32 PM in response to Ernest Loizon

Make certain the USB Drive is at least 16 GB and Formatted as HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map with the Drive Named Untitled for the Terminal command below >>

Big Sur via Terminal

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Notation - in above instructions Untitled matches the Untitled in the terminal command to create the Bootable Installer of Big Sur

What next after downloading Mac OS Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.