Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable USB to install Mac big sur

I’ve followed the terminal to install a copy of big sur onto a USB Bootable drive. I wanted to clean my old MacBook Pro mid 2014. When I restart and click option I’m presented with the Mac drive or a windows drive? When I choose a windows drive (usb) I get a strange dark window saying this is not a bootable drive, like a PC command. Why can I not use the bootable drive. Could this be down to the USB drive stick?

lister

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 10:24 AM

lister wrote:

I’ve followed the terminal to install a copy of big sur onto a USB Bootable drive. I wanted to clean my old MacBook Pro mid 2014. When I restart and click option I’m presented with the Mac drive or a windows drive? When I choose a windows drive (usb) I get a strange dark window saying this is not a bootable drive, like a PC command. Why can I not use the bootable drive. Could this be down to the USB drive stick?

lister

Were you successful in creating the bootable installer... "Install macOS Big Sur" ?

The alternative to Option key when rebooting —is to simply open the USBinstaller from your Desktop to proceed...

you can launch it from there—the computer will restart on it's own.

ref:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 10:24 AM in response to lister

lister wrote:

lister

Were you successful in creating the bootable installer... "Install macOS Big Sur" ?

The alternative to Option key when rebooting —is to simply open the USBinstaller from your Desktop to proceed...

you can launch it from there—the computer will restart on it's own.

ref:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Bootable USB to install Mac big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.