Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Concerns about IP Address

So I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I’m freaking out a bit.

So I recently noticed that somebody new had logged into an old Instagram account of mine. I went onto my account and changed the password.

Now of course I’m very concerned because I worry that this hacker will have access to my IP address, because I briefly logged in, and will be able to remotely hack my iphone. I logged into my Instagram account using cellular data, for what it’s worth. I’ve also since logged out of the account.

So my question is, how concerned should I be? If someone were able to get my cellular IP address from Instagram, would they be able to access my iPhone or install a virus? Thank you in advance.

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 5:00 PM

The whole world can easily find out your IP address; it isn’t secret, and doesn’t need to be. There is nothing nefarious that can be done with an IP address, and it would not be useful in hacking your iPhone, which, for all practical purposes, can be hacked unless you jailbroke it. And even then it would be unlikely.

Your cellular IP, in particular, changes constantly as you move around the cellular network.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2021 5:00 PM in response to Packersfan_10

The whole world can easily find out your IP address; it isn’t secret, and doesn’t need to be. There is nothing nefarious that can be done with an IP address, and it would not be useful in hacking your iPhone, which, for all practical purposes, can be hacked unless you jailbroke it. And even then it would be unlikely.

Your cellular IP, in particular, changes constantly as you move around the cellular network.

Jun 23, 2021 5:47 PM in response to Packersfan_10

That is not true. Every time you visit a web page your IP address is sent to the server the page is hosted on. It needs that information so it can send the reply to your phone. And every time you send an email your IP address is included in the (usually hidden) message “envelope” metadata. Thus, your IP address is not secret and knowing it does not make your device hackable.

Concerns about IP Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.