Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems formating my macbook air 2015 (macintosh HD no visible)

Hello

Computer: Late 2015 Macbook Air MacOS High Sierra.

Note: My files are backed-up and safe in an external hard drive.

The Problem:

As viewed in Disc Utilities ... The second drive: 'Macintosh HD' is not recognised (does not appear at all).

And when I try to install a new version of Mac OS High Sierra the error ''No bag entry'' pops up, in other circumstances, it will give me the option to choose the drive in which I want to install the OS, but no drives appear. (so I don't have where to install the new OS)

Steps Leading Up To The Problem:

• I was told I should erase the previous ''Macintosh HD'' which I did, and now it does not appear.

I don't mind if I lose everything inside as that was the plan, to begin with, but I don't want to continue doing anything because I really need this laptop to work.

So the question is: What do I have to do next?

I am attaching some screen pictures of things that might help you to help me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 4:23 AM

How to erase an Intel-based Mac. In the second picture - it is showing Sierra and Not High Sierra. If installing Sierra - the Internal Drive must be formatted as HFS Journaled and with the GUID Partition Map. The Disk Utilities screen shot is showing the Internal Drive is formatted as APFS which is only supported Information installing High Sierra. That might be the real issue being experienced. Wrong formatting go internal drive.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 4:23 AM in response to Diegxito

How to erase an Intel-based Mac. In the second picture - it is showing Sierra and Not High Sierra. If installing Sierra - the Internal Drive must be formatted as HFS Journaled and with the GUID Partition Map. The Disk Utilities screen shot is showing the Internal Drive is formatted as APFS which is only supported Information installing High Sierra. That might be the real issue being experienced. Wrong formatting go internal drive.

Jun 24, 2021 4:57 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for your answer P.Phillips,

I'm sorry this kind of things aren't my strength. Would be kind enough to explain me how to ''go internal drive''?

Should I Erase the ''APPLE SSD SM0256G Media'' ?

In the format options I have:

-Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

-Mas OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)

-Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

-Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled, Encrypted)

-ExFat

-MS-DOS (FAT)

I don't see any HFS Journaled options...

thanks for the help friend! Much appreciated.

Problems formating my macbook air 2015 (macintosh HD no visible)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.