Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely loud static bleep noise sound from Lossless tracks in Apple Music

Since Lossless was introduced, every so often I'll get this incredibly loud (quite scary) high-pitched static noise that lasts for about a second. This only seems to happen at the start of tracks. I've removed downloads and have turned Lossless off in my Apple Music Mac preferences, but it still seems to be happening. It's like I can't download the original AAC (non-Lossless, non-Dolby) tracks anymore!? I use Apple Music every single day and this has never happened; it's extremely off-putting and needs to be fixed immediately. I don't really care much for Lossless nor Dolby Atmos, I just want to be able to listen to music without worrying about this insanely loud bleep noise.

It occurs while listening using my MBP speakers (built-in) AND also external speakers connected via aux to a monitor. So the problem isn't unique to the audio output. It seems like its a bug that needs to be ironed out in a new update.

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 10:28 AM

I have this same problem while listening using Macbook, iPhone, Airpods while listening to Lossless (Hearing Less/Loss?)

It is PAINFULLY LOUD, much louder than the music volume. It could easily damage a customer's eardrums if it hasn't already. This is serious and should be fixed immediately.

Similar questions

21 replies

Jun 25, 2021 9:24 AM in response to Edward21King

Hey there Edward21King,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

It seems as though you're hearing a noise when you start listening to the Apple Music catalog. We'd like to assist and look into this.

You mentioned this happens on your Mac. If you test with a different device do you experience the same thing?

If you stream the music instead of downloading do you hear the same sound?

Please create a new test administrator account on your Mac. Here's how: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac 

This will help isolate if the issue is specific to your user account, or if it is a system wide software issue.

Take care.

Oct 5, 2021 1:55 AM in response to Edward21King

Apple can you fix this BUG quickly?

I have been having this problem since June and the problem continues to persist! I use headphones and it destroyed my eardrums, I developed reflections to remove my headphones between each music! It's unbearable ! I am thinking of leaving Apple Music for these reasons!

A totally dissatisfied user.

(Translate from French via google translate)

Oct 10, 2021 2:48 PM in response to Edward21King

Loud buzzing is still occurring, and more often now, as of Oct 10, 2021. This is a health danger for users and needs Apple's immediate attention. I have turned off Enhanced in my preferences, but I would suggest Apple needs to turn this off for all users and post a hearing danger notice until it is fixed. If it continues, I'm going to switch to another service. No excuse for this going on so long.

Oct 24, 2021 1:43 PM in response to Edward21King

Same here. It's not Sound Enhancer, I've never had it enabled. I did have Lossless enabled, but disabling it didn't change anything. I'm on Mac.

It happens on some tracks I had iTunes Match enabled for and was streaming, but it also happens for Apple Music tracks I never owned. The behavior is: it plays the first 10-15 seconds of the track, then the noise starts. It's loud, random noise of all kinds.

After that happens, the track won't play. Double-clicking it displays an error icon in place of the Play icon in the track listing. Downloading the track, after a delay, results in a dialog that says "There was a problem downloading...An unknown error occurred (-1007)". I can download other tracks on the same album and tracks on other albums. Once this happens on a track, that track continues to exhibit this behavior forever as far as I can tell.

Dec 5, 2021 12:20 PM in response to Edward21King

I honestly thought that it was an old MacBook Pro issue, since haven't experienced that loud, ear-busting bleep noise from either my iPhone or any of my two Apple TVs (at least not yet). My MacBook Pro died exactly a week ago and decided to replace it with a new Macbook Air. To my great disappointment, the problem lingers on. It angers me that Apple, with their unimaginable resources, seems to be looking the other way.

I know that they normally refuse to acknowledge some of their mistakes (remember the "antennagate" and their cynical "hold the iPhone 'this' way" solution?). But that's no excuse for allowing this problem to continue, especially since it is absolutelly obvious that the bleep noise can hurt my hearing (my tinnitus makes matters worse, I'm afraid).

Extremely loud static bleep noise sound from Lossless tracks in Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.