Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you save the Big Sur installer to install on an external SSD?

I'm currently running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and I'd like to try macOS 11 Big Sur. It used to be that you could download the current OS installer and then use it to install the OS on an external drive. However, Apple has progressively gotten more autocratic in recent years. From the current screen images, it appears that once downloaded that Big Sur will automatically install on my iMac (2017) with no option to stop the process, save the Big Sur installer, and use it to install Big Sur on an external drive. Is that impression accurate?

Also, Apple seems to have blocked directly downloading the Big Sur standalone installer. Is anyone aware of any site that has the Big Sur standalone installer available for download?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 10:05 AM

Martin's Macs wrote:

I'm currently running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and I'd like to try macOS 11 Big Sur. It used to be that you could download the current OS installer and then use it to install the OS on an external drive. However, Apple has progressively gotten more autocratic in recent years. From the current screen images, it appears that once downloaded that Big Sur will automatically install on my iMac (2017) with no option to stop the process, save the Big Sur installer, and use it to install Big Sur on an external drive. Is that impression accurate?

Also, Apple seems to have blocked directly downloading the Big Sur standalone installer. Is anyone aware of any site that has the Big Sur standalone installer available for download?

You can quite the installer like an other app if it launches automatically—this is not an issue.

If the full installer downloaded successfully it will sit in the Applications folder: "Install macOS Big Sur.app"

reference—

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Martin's Macs

Martin's Macs wrote:

You can quite the installer like an other app if it launches automatically—this is not an issue.

If the full installer downloaded successfully it will sit in the Applications folder: "Install macOS Big Sur.app"

reference—

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Jun 24, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Martin's Macs

Yes, you can and there are easy instructions for this.

The first step is to download the installer but DON’T install. When it starts, just quit it.

The installer remains in your Applications folder.

Then you just issue ONE command in Terminal to create the usb thumb drive installer.

Just search online for “create Big Sur usb installer” or something similar. You will find an Apple support document. Follow the instructions therein.

Jun 24, 2021 10:07 AM in response to Martin's Macs

As all previous Contributor have outlined, and I use this Terminal Command

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

where " Untitled "in the above command will match the name of the USB Drives Name " Untitled "

Just be sure the drive is at least 16 GB and nothing on it as the command will erase everything before executing.

Can you save the Big Sur installer to install on an external SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.