Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music ratings added on iPhone aren't synced to iTunes library

the music collection on my iPhone IOS14.5 is synced with a MacMini running iTunes 12.8

For years with older iPhones and older IOS, when i'm out and about, I've been adding ratings to the songs, and when it next syncs, the iTunes library learns about these ratings.

However, with this new phone seems to only gather information from iTunes, but never shares back the changes that happened while away... after synching, it recognizes the songs as having been played, but doesn't migrate these ratings to the iTunes library, discarding all the ratings that I did while on the iPhone.

What am I missing?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 8:45 AM

6 replies

Jun 25, 2021 11:49 AM in response to Dave1Temp

Hi Dave1Temp,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. 

It sounds like the songs you rated aren't syncing when you Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer and we’re happy to help! First, let’s make sure that the software on your iPhone has been updated to the latest supported version iOS 14.6. Updating the software can help us rule out potential software problems. If your iPhone has not yet been updated to iOS 14.6 back up your iPhone first before updating it. 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If your iPhone software is updated and you still having problems with syncing, Update to the latest version of iTunes

We hope this helps.

Take care. 

Jun 29, 2021 11:19 AM in response to SnickZ.

Thanks SnickZ,

I have since done the IOS 14.5 to 14.6 upgrade, and the iTunes was already at the last available 12.8. Most of the sync is taking place, so the sync instructions weren't applicable, but I read through them line-by-line in my troubleshooting, just to make sure I wasn't missing a step in the new IOS.

iTunes is doing the full sync with other systems running antique IOS versions.

In my experimenting over the past week, I have determined that if I connect the iPhone to the Mac Mini directly using the cable, then the ratings information is transferred back to update iTunes. However, when I stick the iPhone on the charger and automatically sync via WiFi, songs are rotated and last played is updated, but ratings made on the iPhone don't get imported to the iTunes.

So I have a kludge to get the information uploaded - always open the case (the dust proof / water proof seals aren't going to hold up to daily opening) and plug into the Mac before putting it back in the case and on the MagSafe charger for the night.

Am I wrong to think "it should just work" on WiFi too?

Jun 29, 2021 11:52 AM in response to barberlives123

Thanks barberlives123,

The phone is visible in iTunes over WiFi, so that article about how to setup WiFi sync doesn't seem to apply.

There is no error, so no message to check; we already did the updates; I can't imagine which security settings might need to change; and it's been restarted dozens of times.

The ONLY part of sync that does not happen via WiFi (that I've found) is transferring song rating changes from the iPhone to iTunes. (changes made in iTunes do get into the phone)

Music ratings added on iPhone aren't synced to iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.