Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW DO I CHANGE NUMBERS TO 2 DECIMAL PLACES

How do I change Numbers to 2 decimal places

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 9:45 AM

Select and go here in the panel at the right:

SG

2 replies

Jun 25, 2021 12:26 AM in response to Oldfoggey

What you doo depends on what type of change you want to make.

You can set the format of the cell to display the number with only two places after the decimal by following the instructions provided by SGIIII.

But while this changes the way the nuber is displayed, it does not change the actual value of the number contained in the cell.

Example: if your cell contains the value 2.33333

And you set the cell to show only 2 places after the decimal, yu will see 2.33

If you then multiply the value in that cell by three, you might expect the result to be 6.99

But the actual result would be 6.99999

And if you set the cell containing that calculation to show only 2 decimal places, it would display 7.00

To get the expected result, you would need to ROUND the original value (2.33333) to two places after the decimal, using ROUND(2.33333,2), Using ROUND changes the actual valueactual value in the cell , not just its appearance, to 2.33.

Multiplying that rounded value would by 3 would give the expected result, 6.99.

Rounding the displayed value and rounding the actual value are both legitimate practices, but they do have different resuts. Choose the method based on the result you need.

Regards,

Barry

HOW DO I CHANGE NUMBERS TO 2 DECIMAL PLACES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.