Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[SOLVED] Wipe USB-drive of all Time Machine-related data [SOLVED]

A couple of months ago I used a USB-drive to make a backup for my MacBook, but now I am unable to use the drive to store other files. I would like to use this drive again, but I cannot seem to rid the drive of all Time Machine-related data and I cannot paste new documents into the drive. So my question would be: How can I use my USB-drive as a regular drive again?

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 2:00 PM

Turn off Time Machine. With the offending drive attached, open Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL Attached Drives. Now look for the Upper Most Name of the Drive and not any volumes if there are listed below it. If the Maker of the drive is say Western Digital - that should be to name you want. Choose that name and on Right Erase the drive - you need to decide how you what it formatted. Usage only on Mac - APFS with GUID Partition Map. This is more flexible than HFS Journaled, as you can add Volumes on APFS and not have to repartition the drive if using the Old HFS Journaled

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 2:00 PM in response to Pantsland

Turn off Time Machine. With the offending drive attached, open Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL Attached Drives. Now look for the Upper Most Name of the Drive and not any volumes if there are listed below it. If the Maker of the drive is say Western Digital - that should be to name you want. Choose that name and on Right Erase the drive - you need to decide how you what it formatted. Usage only on Mac - APFS with GUID Partition Map. This is more flexible than HFS Journaled, as you can add Volumes on APFS and not have to repartition the drive if using the Old HFS Journaled

[SOLVED] Wipe USB-drive of all Time Machine-related data [SOLVED]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.