Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

⚠️ “Can’t download the additional components needed to install OS X” - El Capitan / MacBook Pro 2015

Hi Community,

This is my first MacBook Pro. It’s the 2015 13” model. I purchased it refurbished online about a month and a half ago.

When I received the MacBook, it operated with OS X El Capitan already installed. After googling what was the latest compatible software with my device, I come up with Mac OS Big Sur. I check for updates through the Mac App store. Non available. I try downloading and installing Big Sur. Unsuccessful. Unfortunately, this is when I find myself on the OS X Utilities screen with all these new options.

I investigate the options now displayed, and decide to just go back to what I had before. Obviously, I don’t know what I’m doing. So, from the OS X Utilities screen, I follow the steps on Apple support website to “use disk utility to erase my Mac”.

Once that is complete, I am

returned to OS X Utilities screen and attempt reinstalling OS X El Capitan. Once again, no luck. …can’t download the additional components needed to install OS X…

I’m at a loss. Please help.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 10:37 PM

Not a good idea to rely on Apples Recovery Servers.

Once you get El Capitan reinstalled you should then consider upgrading to a newer OS.

If you want to upgrade to a newer OS then I would recommend you upgrade to macOS High Sierra first as this will prepare your mac for the new APFS file system which the newer OS's run on. A lot of people have reported their macs stalling while upgrading to the newer OS's from older OS's like El Capitan.

The certificates for several of Apples OS's expired in October 2019, Apple haven’t bothered getting these updated on 

their Recovery Servers with valid certificates. 

This may be the problem you are experiencing. 

Try this workaround, we are going to set the time and date on your mac to a date previous to the expiry date of the certificates.

Connect your mac to your router via cable, not WiFi

Boot to your Recovery HD, click on Utilities in the menubar select Terminal.

Make sure WiFi is switched off, it can reset the date back to today.

Enter a new date, for example or just copy and paste

sudo date -u 011421002017

press Return

enter your password

press Return

If Terminal returns an error saying sudo : command not found, then try again without sudo.

just enter 

date -u 011421002017

press Return

You won't be prompted for a Password if you did not need to use sudo

Once the date has changed you can quit Terminal.

Now try downloading the OS.

Click on Install OS X, press Continue.

If this works then when the OS is installed and booted up you can Open System Preferences> Date & Time

and reset the time back to today.

Once you have got El Capitan back on your mac then you can upgrade to a newer OS.

For macOS High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina,

Open Safari and click on this link, 

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Check Compatibility to see if your mac qualifies for the OS upgrade you want.

Then go to the Download OS section and click on the OS you want to install.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you want to or are able to install Big Sur, open Safari and click on the link below.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2021 10:37 PM in response to BallofConfusion

Not a good idea to rely on Apples Recovery Servers.

Once you get El Capitan reinstalled you should then consider upgrading to a newer OS.

If you want to upgrade to a newer OS then I would recommend you upgrade to macOS High Sierra first as this will prepare your mac for the new APFS file system which the newer OS's run on. A lot of people have reported their macs stalling while upgrading to the newer OS's from older OS's like El Capitan.

The certificates for several of Apples OS's expired in October 2019, Apple haven’t bothered getting these updated on 

their Recovery Servers with valid certificates. 

This may be the problem you are experiencing. 

Try this workaround, we are going to set the time and date on your mac to a date previous to the expiry date of the certificates.

Connect your mac to your router via cable, not WiFi

Boot to your Recovery HD, click on Utilities in the menubar select Terminal.

Make sure WiFi is switched off, it can reset the date back to today.

Enter a new date, for example or just copy and paste

sudo date -u 011421002017

press Return

enter your password

press Return

If Terminal returns an error saying sudo : command not found, then try again without sudo.

just enter 

date -u 011421002017

press Return

You won't be prompted for a Password if you did not need to use sudo

Once the date has changed you can quit Terminal.

Now try downloading the OS.

Click on Install OS X, press Continue.

If this works then when the OS is installed and booted up you can Open System Preferences> Date & Time

and reset the time back to today.

Once you have got El Capitan back on your mac then you can upgrade to a newer OS.

For macOS High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina,

Open Safari and click on this link, 

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Check Compatibility to see if your mac qualifies for the OS upgrade you want.

Then go to the Download OS section and click on the OS you want to install.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you want to or are able to install Big Sur, open Safari and click on the link below.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

⚠️ “Can’t download the additional components needed to install OS X” - El Capitan / MacBook Pro 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.