Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-installing Mac OS on a Macbook Pro

I was having issues running Citrix on my Macbook Pro and hence embarked upon re-installing MacOS by restarting and pressing ctrl-R. I started out with going to Disk Utility and formatting the drive and then re-installing the OS from scratch.

The OS automatically selected for re-install is High Sierra. I can see in the logs that the installer gets to a point where it starts downloading the software, but the speed of download is very slow. It never gets to 1% downloaded evern after 4 hours and throws an error thereafter.

Two questions :

1 Am i re-installing the Mac OS the right way or should i be doing something else?

2 Where can i download a copy of Mac OS on my windows machine. My MacOS is no longer available to go to appstore and download the OS.

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 7:33 AM

Yes but it is going to require a good and stable internet connect.

Suggest using an Ethernet Cable to the Router.

Restart the computer and immediately hold the 3 keys at the same time.

Keys are Command + Option + r.

This is Internet Recovery Mode and will attempt to connect to the Apple Servers.

It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - Formatting for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map.

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 7:33 AM in response to fin_ack

Yes but it is going to require a good and stable internet connect.

Suggest using an Ethernet Cable to the Router.

Restart the computer and immediately hold the 3 keys at the same time.

Keys are Command + Option + r.

This is Internet Recovery Mode and will attempt to connect to the Apple Servers.

It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

5 - Formatting for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map.

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Dec 22, 2021 2:24 AM in response to fin_ack

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac Was this method used from Apple ?

How to reinstall macOS Was this method used from Apple ? This step requires and active and functioning Internet Connect. For Best results use and Ethernet Cable to Router

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.

OR >>>

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of High Sierra would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run High Sierra.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer 

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

Dec 21, 2021 2:47 PM in response to fin_ack

I will try to help you. First, I suspect that you are downloading via Wi-Fi. Sometimes that will work, but not often for these very large files. It is simply too slow. Use a wired Ethernet cable even if you have to temporarily move the computer. Typically a download can take up to an hour, more or less to download and another 45 minutes to install, more or less, with several automatic restarts. It is likely your download file is corrupted and can'r install properly.

You cannot install a Mac operating system on a Windows PC, or any Mac formatted files, for that matter. Therefore you cannot also do a Mac download. They have different components and designs.

Dec 22, 2021 12:28 AM in response to Ronasara

Switched to hard-wired ethernet but still running into an error. I think the screen goes into sleep mode that kills the process at some point after about 4 hours. It is tough to baby sit the entire install for the entire day.

Is there a way to check the install file validity.

Have restarted the install and will post the latest error if it fails again.

Dec 28, 2021 6:33 AM in response to PRP_53

Yes, these are the instructions that are being followed to install the new OS. The macbook pro should be intel based since it comes up with the startup screen once i press command+R.

I don't see an option to avoid having the Mac Go into 'sleep mode' while installing. Is there a way to do so while the Mac is in it's current state i.e. it does not have a installed OS?

Will try to install again and post any errors here if unsuccessful.

Dec 28, 2021 1:49 PM in response to PRP_53

I am trying to erase the disk with the disk utility & following happens.

When selecting 'ERASE' for the 'APPLE SSD SM0128G Media', I am entering the following details :

Name : MACOSDISK

Format : Mac OF Extended (Journaled)

Scheme : GUID Partition Map

The Erase fails and following error is returned "Couldn't Open Device. Operation failed.."

Running First Aid on 'APPLE SSD SM0128G Media' everything checks out fine with no errors returned.

Am i doing something wrong as i try to erase the disk?

Dec 29, 2021 1:31 AM in response to fin_ack

It would appear IMHO - the best source of action is now to Make the Bootable Installer of High Sierra as outlined in earlier posting.

Then use that method to reinstall the OS.

Have found, over the years, that formatting the drive with the intention of reinstalling the OS, is better if one has the Reinstallation Media ready before formatting the drive.

Jan 30, 2022 5:29 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks Very Much P. Phillip. Selecting the 'UPPER MOST DRIVE' and erasing it did the trick. MacBook Pro is now up and running with High Sierra.

The instructions are spot on, but "Disk Utilities >>View >> View ALL attached Drives. " was not available on our Mac. However, selecting the Upper Most Drive and erasing it did the trick.

Took about 3-4 hours to re-install the Mac. The install was done over a hard wired internet connection.

Re-installing Mac OS on a Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.