Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install MacOS High Sierra onto iMac (mid 2010)

Hello everyone,

I know I'm super late to update my software, but after watching the announcment of Mac OS Big Sur, even though I am very well aware i will not be able to update this computer to that software, I wanted to update to the most current Mac OS possible.

With that being said, overtime I go to download High Sierra onto this Mac from the App Store, it simply will not download, I've tried deleting the old update of Mac OS I had downloaded but not installed and I thought for the moment it was about to work, but after my test time went into days I knew something was off, did anyone else have any problems similar to this and or any advice for me?

Any info is GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks!

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 5:41 PM

So I tried what you recommended, and had no luck, I continued to do more searching online and came across someone mentioning proxies through the network settings. I was unaware there was a proxy enabled on my router. So I went to my preferences> network> Advanced and unchecked the proxy. I clicked ‘apply’ and closed it. I went back to the App Store to download High Sierra and it downloaded in less than 10 mins! I’m assuming your recommendation for using the Ethernet cord also made it download faster, so I wanted to say Thank you so much for your input, and taking the time to help me sort out this issue. I really appreciate it!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2020 5:41 PM in response to Eau Rouge

So I tried what you recommended, and had no luck, I continued to do more searching online and came across someone mentioning proxies through the network settings. I was unaware there was a proxy enabled on my router. So I went to my preferences> network> Advanced and unchecked the proxy. I clicked ‘apply’ and closed it. I went back to the App Store to download High Sierra and it downloaded in less than 10 mins! I’m assuming your recommendation for using the Ethernet cord also made it download faster, so I wanted to say Thank you so much for your input, and taking the time to help me sort out this issue. I really appreciate it!

Jul 1, 2020 1:22 AM in response to dannydario

What is happening exactly.

Do you have the Install macOS High Sierra.app downloaded from here.

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Use Safari to click on the link, Firefox does not work.

Go To Section 4 and click on Get macOS High Sierra.

This will redirect you to the High Sierra download page in the App Store.

It should say Get or Download.

If the App Store says Open then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS High Sierra.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

Jul 1, 2020 3:11 AM in response to Eau Rouge

So I'm trying to install High Sierra from the current MacOS I'm running Sierra, I did what you recommended and found an app in my applications folder titled MacOS High Sierra, deleted it then removed it from trash. I restarted my mac and tried downloading again, it was stuck on the est time of "calculating" for a while, then it downloaded fine for maybe 3 mins. from there the estimated time kept counting up and eventually disappeared.

So I went back to the Applications folder, and saw the new file i downloaded from the app store only this time it had a pie chart next to the title and only about less than 25% full. I'm assuming it didn't complete download. tried to reopen it thru the app store but nothing.

Trying to install MacOS High Sierra onto iMac (mid 2010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.