Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro diagnostic disks

My Macbook pro 2012 mid does not have diagnostic disk. Does Apple have a site or option to obtain the diagnostic disk?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 7:19 PM

Go to Apple menu  > About This Mac > System Report

Find your MacBook's Model Identifier...

Then click the following link to find the AHT download for your Mac:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

9 replies

Jun 28, 2021 11:42 AM in response to macfrombrampton

Have you tried booting to the online Apple Diagnostics with Option + D? Once the laptop's firmware was updated by macOS 10.12.6 Apple provided these laptops to access the online diagnostics. If the firmware was updated to access the online diagnostics, then the older diagnostic images may not work. Unfortunately the online diagnostics are broken for some systems and it may also have broken the older USB boot images as well.

Jun 25, 2021 3:13 PM in response to macfrombrampton

I hate to be contrary, but using Safari and my GitHub link in your post just above, I visited the GitHub page, scrolled down the page to the download links to find three different AHT downloads for MacBook Pro 2012 and downloaded them to my drive. Unpacked the downloads and found the AHT files inside.

So, I'm not sure why you're having trouble with this. Could very well be the browser you're using. You should try this again using a browser that is not Firefox. Just use Safari.

Also, FYI, when you eventually unpack the download and visit the files inside, know that the important ones are hidden. You will need to unhide them to see. In Finder, pressing shift-command-period will make them visible.

EDIT – surprisingly, this also does work for me in Firefox. Go figure.

Jul 9, 2021 8:19 PM in response to macfrombrampton

AFAIK, the Apple Diagnostics are either contained on the original hard drive from the factory if you never erased it or it may be possible to access the online Apple Diagnostics if you had installed macOS 10.12.6 at some point in this laptop's history although Apple did also break the online diagnostics with a firmware update for some people (some Macs will access the online diagnostics while others will get an error something like "unable to access /TestSupport.efi").

The only other way to acquire the older Apple Hardware Test is using the link provided by @D.I. Johnson above:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

You must locate the proper download link for your computer from the link I just listed. If the AHT won't boot, then it is due to the updated system firmware of your laptop which was running macOS 10.12.6+ at some point. In theory you should be able to take the AHT .dmg file from the above link and use Disk Utility to "Restore" it to a USB stick in order to create a bootable AHT USB stick (see the included Apple .pdf instructions contained within the .dmg file when you mount the contents by double-clicking the .dmg file). Make sure to get the correct AHT .dmg file for your exact model Mac. Your Mac will only be able to use one of those AHT .dmg files.

If you cannot access the diagnostics using either of these methods, then you won't be able to run the Apple Diagnostics or AHT at all. You can take your laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them run the service diagnostics instead.

If you want to run the diagnostics because you are having issues with the laptop, then you should provide us the details of the symptoms so we can offer alternative methods of troubleshooting the laptop.

Macbook pro diagnostic disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.