Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Hardware Test - MacBook pro 13" Mid 2012

Hello everyone, im with a problem on Apple Hardware Test, when i restart and press D or option+D my macbook starts the internet recovery, on Wi-Fi I select the Network and put the password, after this the internet recovery freezes forever, if I use Ethernet I get an error message 0x000000000000003, Cannot load 'EFI/Drivers/TestSupport.efi'.

When I try to use R or option+R my sys start normal the macOS recovery (macOS Utilities).

Specs: MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13" i5 2,5Ghz - Base Model + Ram Up to 6GB (1x4gb - 1x2gb) Model:A1278

Running macOS Mojave 10.14.4 with bootcamp partition

I tried Reset PRAM, NVRAM and SMC, Disconnect the Battery, Swap the RAM and Tried other RAMs

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 12, 2019 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2019 6:32 PM

Don't feel alone, many user complaining they can no longer connect to the AHT server.

No resolve.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Are you having an issue that maybe we can trouble shoot here?

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2019 6:32 PM in response to JeanSawada

Don't feel alone, many user complaining they can no longer connect to the AHT server.

No resolve.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Are you having an issue that maybe we can trouble shoot here?

May 12, 2019 7:21 PM in response to JeanSawada

Your computer originally came with 10.7.x (Lion) which was the first OS available for download only and, it may be that, unless you installed a firmware update at the time to allow internet recovery, trying to initiate the hardware test may not work correctly. Unless someone comes up with an idea, I'd suggest you take it to your nearest Apple store to have them run their version of (a more inclusive) hardware test because yours is not working.

May 12, 2019 7:45 PM in response to JeanSawada

Apple Hardware test was included on the original drive shipped inside your Mac. It was also on the original Installer DVD, if yours shipped with one of those (I see babowa doubts there was a DVD for that Mac).

If your disk was ever erased or replaced, there is no part of MacOS that makes certain the invisible .diagnostics folder is returned to its special place at:

/System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics

Downloading of Diagnostics on demand is a feature of Apple diagnostics, That was featured on Macs issued about 2013 and later. Apple Hardware Test was never downloaded on demand.

A Mac user has collected a lot of the freely-available versions of Apple Hardware Test and made them available here:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

The recommended way to proceed today is to create a bootable USB-stick, using the directions found at that site.

May 12, 2019 7:54 PM in response to JeanSawada

Standard RAM:4 GB -- Maximum RAM:16 GB*

Details:4 GB of RAM is installed as two 2 GB modules, no slots free.

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that this model actually is capable of using up to 16 GB of RAM with two 8 GB memory modules.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.5-13-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

May 12, 2019 8:19 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I've got the exact same model (upgraded to 12 GB RAM and an SSD) and it shipped with 10.7.3 (Lion - no DVD); I've not tested whether the AHT works or not on that. In any case, at the time, I did some extensive testing of mostly iMacs with either Snow Leopard and Lion and found that neither recovery nor AHT were reliable on machines from mid 2010 - 2012 (right on the cusp of the Apple change from install media to download only).

May 13, 2019 8:29 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

literally all of the above. If I remember correctly, I tested various scenarios on a 2010 and 2012 iMac - several tests (done via recovery, wiping/not wiping the hard drive, and via an external clone). This was right around the time of changing to download only and firmware updates for older Macs to allow internet recovery. What I found was that once the firmware update was installed, the install media no longer worked 5 out of 6 times and, when I filed a bug report, Apple Engineering replied with “working as expected” (in other words, no one was going to do anything about it). On the other hand, internet recovery also only worked (as in it just would either not connect at all, or connect, but nothing worked once you got there). I don’t remember if I still have the report I wrote - after all, that was 8+ years ago - but I will take a look when I have some time.

Apple Hardware Test - MacBook pro 13" Mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.