Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The spinning Red, Yellow and Green button causes data loss while typing...

I keep my iMac Pro updated with the latest software from Apple. However, just recently I noticed when I'm running MS Word 2016 in the Apple presentation mode, or typing some information in a drawing on Paint.net in the Parallels Virtual Machine mode the following:

"While I'm typing if the Red, Yellow, and Green spinning button appears on the screen while typing, the data is lost when the spinning button first appeared! I have to click on a mouse button to get rid on that spinning button, and then go back and re-type the lost data."

Why did you do that with these later version of macOS Big Sur (current version 11.4), I never experienced this problem with Sierra or earlier apple software versions?

Regards,

Don_

Posted on Jun 24, 2021 9:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 12:06 AM

Hello All,

I finally resolved the Beach Balling problem viewing streaming video on my iMac Pro system running the latest iMacOS Big Sur Version 11.4... I had a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on my system (Note* Adobe Bought out Corel). Just before Beach Balling would happen, I could see in the Activity Monitor Log (Memory) the file CUD would attempt to execute and a few seconds later go RED CUD (Not Responding), and then the beach Ball would appear. I deleted The Adobe Reader (Trash canned), rebooted and the problem still happened. I checked the Library/Preferences folder and there were 4 Corel entries and I deleted all 4. Rebooted, and the beach Balling problem was resolved. However, Now after an hour of streaming video stuttering and it sounded like they were breathing helium. I searched the Library/Preference again and found 2 adobe entries related to sound. I deleted them and rebooted and now my video streaming does not have beach Balling or weird sounds any more... Problem Resolved!!!

Regards,

Don_

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 12:06 AM in response to Gort1951

Hello All,

I finally resolved the Beach Balling problem viewing streaming video on my iMac Pro system running the latest iMacOS Big Sur Version 11.4... I had a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on my system (Note* Adobe Bought out Corel). Just before Beach Balling would happen, I could see in the Activity Monitor Log (Memory) the file CUD would attempt to execute and a few seconds later go RED CUD (Not Responding), and then the beach Ball would appear. I deleted The Adobe Reader (Trash canned), rebooted and the problem still happened. I checked the Library/Preferences folder and there were 4 Corel entries and I deleted all 4. Rebooted, and the beach Balling problem was resolved. However, Now after an hour of streaming video stuttering and it sounded like they were breathing helium. I searched the Library/Preference again and found 2 adobe entries related to sound. I deleted them and rebooted and now my video streaming does not have beach Balling or weird sounds any more... Problem Resolved!!!

Regards,

Don_

Jun 25, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Gort1951

Hi there Don( or Gort1951) maybe i can shed a litle light on this… one, Big Sur 11.4 is kinda a beta. Two, MS word probably needs to be updated to a version that is 64-bit and Catalina compatible. You can do that here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/update-office-for-mac-automatically-bfd1e497-c24d-4754-92ab-910a4074d7c1 and

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_install-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/is-office-2016-for-mac-compatible-with-os-catalina/3269e2d5-18a3-4400-a158-366985431d7e.

please note that Office 2016 is considered “End of Life”by Microsoft… you could also run “Activity Monitor” to see whatever is causing the beachballing and stop it. I am assuming you have enough RAM installed in your iMac Pro and that you have the latest version of Parallels. You may wish to give LibreOffice a try? It’s free. Ms office’s latest version is Office 365 which does work with Big Sur( 11.4) but you “rent “ the licence by the month. Office 2019 WILL work with Big sur… office 2016 and thus MS Word 2016 won’t..

hope this helps you some..

john b

Jun 26, 2021 3:08 PM in response to Johnb-one

I have been in contact with apple support... This is not a MS Word, or a Parallels running Paint.net problem. This is a apple OS problem because the spinning beach ball happens if I'm just running safari and watching a news feed. I was asked to take a screen shot during this episode when the spinning ball replaces the mouse curser, but the keyboard is disabled until I move the mouse. Then the spinning ball is replaced with the mouse curser and then I can then take a screen shot. I checked the Apple System Log (ASL) messages at the time of the screen shot:

"Approaching Memory Limit, Starting Stack Logging"

My iMac Pro has 32 GB's of memory and normally is using less than 8 GB's of memory. It looks like the apple Big Sur OS has a memory leak somewhere...

Regards,

Don_

The spinning Red, Yellow and Green button causes data loss while typing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.