Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did all my Apple Music Playlists go?

All my Apple Music Playlists have disappeared from my iPhone SE 2020 and my old iMac. The playlist titles are there, but there are no songs in the playlists. It appears hours of searching and compiling those playlists has been lost.

I'm not sure what caused them to disappear. I was fiddling with the iTunes app on my iMac to try adding Apple Music songs to a playlist on the iMac, and then lost all the Apple Music playlists I had created on both devices.

To explain, I have a late 2009 iMac with High Sierra 10.13.6, and it won't support any newer macOS. That means I don't have the Apple Music App. I have trouble accessing my Apple Music Playlists on iTunes on the iMac. For one playlist in particular, it only shows about a quarter of the songs on my iMac compared to the complete list on my iPhone. In addition, even when I'm signed into my Apple account in iTunes, it still shows the prices for songs and albums in Store, even though I have an Apple Music account. Sometimes logging out of my Apple account in iTunes and then logging back in solves the problem. It didn't this time.

Next, under Account Information in Store, under Account/Authorization in the top nav, I noticed the

option to Authorize this computer. I selected it, and the prices did not disappear from items in the Store. I think that is when I also lost all of my Apple Playlists, but I didn't check those immediately so I don't know for sure it that's what did it.

I've checked my iPhone to make sure my Apple Music subscription is current.

How do I restore the songs on my Apple Music playlists to my iPhone and my iMac?

Why doesn't iTunes on my iMac recognize my Apple Music account and allow me to access must without paying per song or per album?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 2:34 AM

Apple Music content is only available on your computer if you are signed into your Apple ID, your computer is authorized to the ID, and you Turn on Sync Library (AKA iCloud Music Library) with Apple Music - Apple Support. While you have an active subscription you are still able to make purchases in the iTunes Store, so the prices are not supposed to disappear.

Try Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community.

tt2

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2021 2:34 AM in response to toolandpoolman

Apple Music content is only available on your computer if you are signed into your Apple ID, your computer is authorized to the ID, and you Turn on Sync Library (AKA iCloud Music Library) with Apple Music - Apple Support. While you have an active subscription you are still able to make purchases in the iTunes Store, so the prices are not supposed to disappear.

Try Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community.

tt2

Jul 3, 2021 12:26 AM in response to toolandpoolman

From Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community:

Additional steps for iCloud Music Library users

Optional, use if content has been removed from iCloud Music Library in error

If you have access to iCloud Music Library as part of an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription disconnect from the Internet before restoring the old database, turn iCloud Music Library off, then close iTunes, reconnect to the Internet, open iTunes and turn iCloud Music Library back on again. The restored offline library should then be merged with what is in the cloud. These options can be found under Edit > Preferences > General (Windows) or iTunes > Preferences > General (Mac OS X).

tt2

Aug 4, 2021 7:32 PM in response to toolandpoolman

When I first started using iTunes Match (one of the two services that uses iCloud Music Library along with Apple Music) I was aware that some people complained that matches weren't always perfect, I had more tracks that were originally allowed for the service, and I had tracks I didn't necessarily want available everywhere. I used the advice in Use multiple iTunes libraries on PC - Apple Support to create a separate empty library for Match which started out with just my purchase history. (Each library you create can optionally have iCloud Music Library enabled.) I then added in copies of content that was in my primary (non-cloud) library to have it appear on my devices, Apple TV, etc. It has a subset of my main library, limited to my favourite content. When I got a HomePod I upgraded to Apple Music to allow me access most of the iTunes store catalog on demand.

Both my libraries are stored locally on a large external drive on my main home computer. The Apple Music (iCloud) library is available on my iPhone, iPad, work computer, and my Mac. Some of the content is in the cloud in these other libraries. A fair bit is downloaded to my phone so I can listen on the way to or from work without using mobile data.

tt2

Aug 4, 2021 1:31 PM in response to turingtest2

ok thanks,

Not sure I understand the difference between these two:

• one master (non-iCloud Library)
  • one iCloud Music Library

I think the difference is that only the non-iCloud Library is stored locally on a computer. Is that correct?

So how do I go about creating a master music library that is stored on my computer, and only my computer? I'm concerned if I choose "download" in iMusic on my iPhone, it will download it to my iPhone, and I'd rather have it on my computer.

Fundamentally, I don't know understand how to distinguish between downloading music between on my iPhone vs my computer vs my iCloud account.

Thanks for your continued help tt2. I struggle to find answers to these kinds of questions on the Apple Support pages because they tend to focus on very small specific tasks, and I'm trying understand how it all fits together. They also tend to use a lot of Apple-specific language that I then have to search for trying to understand the terminology before I can solve my problem. Apple support I think assumes I have a lot more expertise than I do.

Jun 30, 2021 4:33 PM in response to toolandpoolman

Wow, where is everyone in the Apple Support Community? I have I stumped you all? Or is the solution so obvious I don't deserve a reply?

Update: I've since discovered on my iPhone Podcast app I've lost many of the shows that I subscribed to. Not all, but many. Same problem, or something else? Like the numerous songs I lost from my Apple Music Playlists, is it possible to recover them, rather than search for and add them back one at a time?

Jul 2, 2021 10:48 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks tt2

I have Apple Music enabled on both my Mac and iPhone. I have "iCloud Music Library" selected on my iTunes on my Mac, since I don't have the Apple Music app.

I copied an older version of the iTunesLibary.itl file from a backup into my iTunes folder, and renamed it and the current library file as instructed. Once I opened iTunes on my Mac, the songs that were missing from my playlists appeared briefly, then disappeared. The playlists are there, just no content in them. I'm guessing there must be some other setting in my iTunes that is causing them to be removed, even after restoring an older file that included them.

To be clear, these are no Apple Music Playlists, where the playlist is created by Apple Music. These are my playlists that I have created from music using my iMusic subscription.

Any other suggestions?

I'm confused about the album/song prices showing up in iTunes when I have an iMusic subscription. I should not have to pay for specific songs if I have the iMusic subscription. That's the point of the subscription isn't it? I'm reluctant to select any more music when the prices are displayed because I don't want to pay for an song/album when I have the subscription. I'm sure I've seen my iTunes before where the prices are not displayed. That's the iTunes state I was trying to return to when I lost the songs from my playlists.

thanks! your help is much appreciated!

Jul 11, 2021 8:37 AM in response to turingtest2

Ok thanks, I followed those steps but the same problem occurs.

When I open iTunes/preferences/General, the iCloud Music Library box is selected and greyed out so I can't de-select it, so I can't turn off iCloud Music Library. If I navigate through the other menu options under General Preferences, and after some time, I return to General and then the iCloud Music Library is no longer greyed out, and I am able to turn off iCloud Music Library. It doesn't seem to matter if I make a change under any of the other menu items for iCloud Music Library to become selectable.

Once I am finally able to turn off iCloud Music Library, I followed all of the other steps - exit iTunes, disconnect from the internet, restore the old database, and reconnect to the internet, and open iTunes. When I open iTunes, the same problem occurs - the playlists are there, the song titles briefly appear, and then disappear. I check Preferences, and iCloud Music Library is already turned on. Initially, iCloud Music Library is also greyed out and not selectable, but after some time, it becomes selectable and I am to once again able to turn it off.

If I turn off iCloud Music Library, exit iTunes, and then open iTunes again without restoring an old database, iCloud Music Library is still turned off. It seems only the process of restoring an old iTunes database is what causes the iCloud Music Library to turn back on. I have tried different old database files, and the same issue occurs - iCloud Music Library is turned back on when I open iTunes again, and the songs are missing from my playlists.

I'm guessing there is something in restoring the old database file that turns iCloud Music Library back on.

Is there a setting in Preferences that automatically turns iCloud Music Library back on?

any other suggestions?

thanks, I appreciate your patience with my very peculiar problem!

Jul 11, 2021 9:22 AM in response to toolandpoolman

You need to disconnect from the Internet, restore the old database, disable iCloud Music Library (AKA Sync Library), then reconnect to the Internet. At this point you have the old library and no cloud syncing going on. Now it should be possible to enable iCloud Music Library and there ought to be an option to merge the libraries, or it should just happen.

tt2

Jul 11, 2021 10:16 AM in response to turingtest2

Ok thanks... here's what happened:

After I disconnect from the Internet, and restore the old database, I see the songs listed under the playlists. The songs are not playable - I get a message saying the original file cannot be found.

After turning off iCloud Music Library, the playlists are still there, but the songs have disappeared (message says cannot connect to iTunes store)

After reconnecting to the Internet, no change - the playlists are there, but no songs.

After enabling, iCloud Music Library, the song names appear, and I get a message under Activity that it is waiting to download songs, then it says it is making my iMusic Library available. No message to merge libraries. At this point, songs are not playable - original file can't be found. Activity box disappears. Then, the songs disappear. Back to the same problem.

What am I missing?

Jul 11, 2021 12:53 PM in response to toolandpoolman

Ah, do you have a backup that includes the media files themselves? You probably cannot restore Apple Music content but if you have your own files that were matched or uploaded then restoring those should deal with the "original file cannot be found" issue. If your files were only in the cloud then the best you'll be able to do is make notes of what each playlist contains, but you'd have to manually locate and add these from Apple Music once you're online again.

tt2

Aug 3, 2021 1:39 PM in response to turingtest2

thanks tt2

I've been avoiding a response because this is just too frustrating, and I don't want to get into a rant. However, every day I try to listen to a different song or playlist, and find out it too is missing.

I know this is not your fault, but the answer makes no sense from a consumer perspective. Can't back up from the Cloud? What else is the Cloud for? Why would I download all my songs and playlists from a streaming service? That's why I pay for a streaming service so I don't have to fill up my iPhone and Mac with downloaded music files. I had hundreds of songs across dozens of playlists. It looks like I've lost everything since I joined iMusic 3 years ago. They weren't just albums, or just specific artists, they were songs I curated over time to create personalized playlists just for me. Again, that's the point of a streaming service - creating customized playlists.

Ok, I did slip into a rant there. I will resign myself to hours and hours of recreating playlists if I want to listen to iMusic

anymore.

Here's the next question... how could this have happened, and how can I avoid it in future? I really don't want to overload my iPhone with downloaded songs unless I really have to.

appreciate your help and thanks for listening

Aug 4, 2021 11:36 AM in response to toolandpoolman

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't really have enough details to go on to provide an explanation. I've used both Apple Music and iTunes Match, and they have worked for me, syncing playlists updated on one computer or device to all of my others signed into the same iCloud Music Library. What I have always had is one master (non-iCloud Library) and one iCloud Music Library where all content is stored locally on that computer, and backups of the same. That way I've always been in a position to restore anything that I might delete in error.

Because iCloud Music Library updates changes through the cloud it can be difficult to reverse a deleted playlist, particularly if the tracks themselves come from Apple Music or are only stored in the cloud. When you have the (non Apple Music) files locally on a computer then if they are removed from your iCloud Music Library they are marked as removed for iCloud, but not physically removed from the computer, so they can be added back. If you have Time Machine you can go offline, temporarily restore an older state of the library, export a playlist as an XML file, go back online, then import the exported playlist.

tt2

Where did all my Apple Music Playlists go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.