Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro RAID1 problem

I've been running two 1TB internal discs as a RAID1 array. It suddenly stopped working. In disc Utility one of the discs is 'Missing' (presumably died) the second disc is marked as 'Online' but I cant access it. I've tried to 'Repair' it but it fails and I get the message "com.apple.StorageKit error 118". I'm bothered about getting the RAID up and running but I do need to at least retreive the Data.

I did consider Disk Warrior but I'm not sure if it would be any help in this situation.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks John.

Spec: MacPro 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core (2010) running Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 11:55 AM

Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives and hidden Containers appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. This may give you more options to select for First Aid.

If the RAID volume is APFS, then Disk Warrior will not be able to help you since there are no third party utilities available to repair an APFS volume since Apple has not released the necessary APFS documentation yet.

If the RAID volume is an HFS+ volume, then you should be able to run Disk Warrior on it although you may want to check the Disk Warrior documentation just to be safe that it supports a software RAID (I think it does).

Keep in mind a RAID is not a backup. You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and any external medial which contains important and unique data. RAID is only meant to allow you to continue accessing your data while you replace a bad drive and hope the other drive doesn't fail before the rebuild is complete.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2021 11:55 AM in response to JC2004

Within Disk Utility click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drives and hidden Containers appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. This may give you more options to select for First Aid.

If the RAID volume is APFS, then Disk Warrior will not be able to help you since there are no third party utilities available to repair an APFS volume since Apple has not released the necessary APFS documentation yet.

If the RAID volume is an HFS+ volume, then you should be able to run Disk Warrior on it although you may want to check the Disk Warrior documentation just to be safe that it supports a software RAID (I think it does).

Keep in mind a RAID is not a backup. You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and any external medial which contains important and unique data. RAID is only meant to allow you to continue accessing your data while you replace a bad drive and hope the other drive doesn't fail before the rebuild is complete.

Mac Pro RAID1 problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.