Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my MacBook not booting up?

Hello,

Recently my MacBook pro mid 2012 13 inch started to not function as it should. There are several bad behaviours that it seems to have, I will write them all down below:

1 - after a few minutes of working on it when I try to put it on sleep by closing the lid, the apple logo on the back stays on and the laptop stays awake...

2 - the battery is not recognised for some reason although the laptop is working without the power cable. In coconutBattery appears as unknown and the battery indicator from the top right corner is missing and when I try to check it back on from the system preferences an icon of the battery with the lightning rod appears and immediately disappears. The led indicator from the left side of the laptop works though... its confusing.

3 - if the laptop doesn't want to go to sleep and I try to reboot it or shut it down it works however when I try to boot it back on it just doesn't want to boot up and seems like its dead.

4 - if I let it for like a few hours shut down, if I try again to boot it up it works

5 - sometimes boots back up if I reset the SMC, but not all the times. I have to either let it a few hours shut down or with the battery outside for a few hours, then it works...

6 - recently when I let it charge it overheated, the problems with the power and battery were present before and after this event

7 - with 2 months before the issues appear I upgraded the ram to 8 GB and replaced the HDD with an SSD - I thought I should mention this in case this might be a connection?

Could anyone help me understand what the cause of this problem could be and how can be fixed, I want to understand if it can be fixed. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 6:51 AM

Dunnope wrote:

Hello,

Recently my MacBook pro mid 2012 13 inch started to not function as it should. There are several bad behaviours that it seems to have, I will write them all down below:

1 - after a few minutes of working on it when I try to put it on sleep by closing the lid, the apple logo on the back stays on and the laptop stays awake...
2 - the battery is not recognised for some reason although the laptop is working without the power cable. In coconutBattery appears as unknown and the battery indicator from the top right corner is missing and when I try to check it back on from the system preferences an icon of the battery with the lightning rod appears and immediately disappears. The led indicator from the left side of the laptop works though... its confusing.
3 - if the laptop doesn't want to go to sleep and I try to reboot it or shut it down it works however when I try to boot it back on it just doesn't want to boot up and seems like its dead.
4 - if I let it for like a few hours shut down, if I try again to boot it up it works
5 - sometimes boots back up if I reset the SMC, but not all the times. I have to either let it a few hours shut down or with the battery outside for a few hours, then it works...
6 - recently when I let it charge it overheated, the problems with the power and battery were present before and after this event
7 - with 2 months before the issues appear I upgraded the ram to 8 GB and replaced the HDD with an SSD - I thought I should mention this in case this might be a connection?

Could anyone help me understand what the cause of this problem could be and how can be fixed, I want to understand if it can be fixed. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

If your Mac doesn't turn on

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204267

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156

If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207019

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2021 6:51 AM in response to Dunnope

Dunnope wrote:

Hello,

If your Mac doesn't turn on

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204267

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156

If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207019

Why is my MacBook not booting up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.