Early 2013 13" MacBook Pro requires power cycle to boot

I left my 2013 13" MacBook Pro for a month and a half on my desk and did not use it, after trying to turn it on it wouldn't boot, when I put my ear on it to hear for any signs of life, I heard a weird fan noise, like something was jammed in one of them. I took my screw driver set and opened the computer, I pressed the power button and saw the fans spin, then stop, then start again, then stop. I unplugged the battery just in case it is a battery related issue, after attempting to boot without the battery connected I got the same results, I have never encountered anything like this, I google up and after gathering some information I perform something called a "power cycle", Hold power button for 10 seconds then plug the computer while holding the power button for another 10 seconds, adding up to a total of 20 seconds without letting go. The fans suddenly go at full blast and the computer turns on, the light on the magsafe power cable is off the power button. In MacOS using macs fan control it asked me to reset the SMC and no sensors were detected, in System Information no battery was detected, only the AC Power Adapter was showing up. I unplugged the laptop and it shut off immediately. After resetting the SMC the computer wouldn't boot normally and I had to perform another power cycle so it boots with the fans again at full blast. Is this an Issue with the SMC that no battery, fans and temperatures are detected or is it something else. I also wanted to mention that the computer was running much slower than usual while going through the menus and trying to operate it.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 11:45 AM

Aggelos132 wrote:

I left my 2013 13" MacBook Pro for a month and a half on my desk and did not use it, after trying to turn it on it wouldn't boot,

After resetting the SMC the computer wouldn't boot normally and I had to perform another power cycle so it boots with the fans again at full blast. Is this an Issue with the SMC that no battery, fans and temperatures are detected or is it something else. I also wanted to mention that the computer was running much slower than usual while going through the menus and trying to operate it.

If resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

and resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

no change, it does not sound good, like a hardware failure.

You can try see if it is possible here:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Aggelos132

Aggelos132 wrote:

I left my 2013 13" MacBook Pro for a month and a half on my desk and did not use it, after trying to turn it on it wouldn't boot,

After resetting the SMC the computer wouldn't boot normally and I had to perform another power cycle so it boots with the fans again at full blast. Is this an Issue with the SMC that no battery, fans and temperatures are detected or is it something else. I also wanted to mention that the computer was running much slower than usual while going through the menus and trying to operate it.

If resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

and resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

no change, it does not sound good, like a hardware failure.

You can try see if it is possible here:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Jul 17, 2023 1:37 PM in response to Aggelos132

If a temperature sensor is not working properly or indicating a high or out of range value, then the fans will run at high speed to protect the CPU. The battery contains a temperature sensor so if the battery is disconnected, the fans will run at high speed.

If you can power on the laptop with the battery disconnected, then reconnect the battery once the laptop is powered on and let the battery charge to at least 10%+ before powering off the laptop or disconnecting the power adapter or you may permanently damage the battery. Just make sure not to let any metallic or conductive item or surface touch any of the laptop's internal circuitry or the Logic Board will be damaged.

FYI, if the battery was allowed to drain to 0% charge during that month long period, then the battery may be permanently damaged. Lithium batteries need to be stored with at least 20% to 50% charge on them and should never be allowed to remain at 0% for too long or permanent damage may occur to the battery.

The laptop should power on without a battery, although a Retina model laptop may run very slow this way.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Early 2013 13" MacBook Pro requires power cycle to boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.