Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

big sur wifi problems

I bought an iMac27 refurbished (Apple) early Jan2021--initially had no problems with wifi (had moved up from iMac21)--it came loaded with Big Sur--in last 3 months it has been slipping off my very strong router (in our apt--private) and going onto the public, much slower wifi---it doesn't seem to want to hold to initial connection and choses , on its own, to go looking for another connection--

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 9:13 AM

you can start here: Use Wireless Diagnostics on Mac

and also look here: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

12 replies

Jun 26, 2021 1:33 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

to further explain--I live in a bldg with 88 apts--we all have a separate internet connection we pay for with a private router in our apt--my iMac27 can see about 20-25 routers--some of which are ones supplied by mgmt and some are CenturyLink--upon running Wifi Diagnostics the app picked out one centuryLink router which it says has a UK country code--don't know yet how far away it is--but I also went to Sys Prefs->Network->Wifi->Advanced and in first tab is list of all routers I've ever been connected with on my MBPro which I travel with--in the right column I unselected "Auto-Join" for all except my private router including "SP Public" which the iMac27 kept slipping into---(I also deleted all other past wifi connections) -maybe that will solve this problem--not sure how I'd solve problem of Country code--

Jun 27, 2021 7:48 AM in response to triplehjr

One point regarding Other Router broadcasting as UK Code - that is a Router originally destined for the UK Market or the ISP that made it available for usage in the USA , did not care and leave it that way. That or the users are not savvy enough to get into the Router Software and switch it to CA - Canada -.

Example - I live in a Condo in Toronto and like yourself 45 - 50 other routers around. Some are personal Router and some are supplied by ISPs. That said, one ISP ( un-named here ) imports there Routers from USA and broadcasts as USA. This really messes with the Canada CA Code and thus interfere with my connection until I put Tin Foil in certain places to Block their Signal.

Jun 27, 2021 9:40 AM in response to triplehjr

Wall to wall Floor to Ceiling Bookcase on one wall - The entire back of bookcase with Tin foil. Opposite wall - several 3 ft x 3 ft Framed Pictures all with Tin Foil. Juts enough to disrupt the External Wifi signals and make my Internal Wifi less bombarded with undesired signals. Alcan is very good to me - purchased when on sale.

big sur wifi problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.