Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texts coming from ios 12.5.4 to ios 14.5.1 only give a numerical notification. No sound, vibration or banner

Texts coming from an iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 12.5.4 to my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 14.5.1 paired with an Apple Watch 6 running iOS 7.5 only show a numerical notification - no sound, vibration or banner on either the iPhone or the watch. Texts coming from newer devices always alert with sound, vibration and banner on either the iPhone or the watch depending on if the iPhone is asleep. I’ve reset Contacts in the My Watch app, confirmed Sound & Haptics are on, volume is up, rebooted both devices - no luck. The only difference between the contacts that generate alerts and the one contact who doesn’t is that the others have moved on to newer phones and operating systems. Could his older iOS be the problem?

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 10:46 AM

juno-cat,

By chance, is the Hide Alerts option enabled for that conversation? The “Turn on Hide alerts” section of the following article covers how to check on that: Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If not, you’ll want to reach out to Apple Support, since that behavior still persists after updating: Contact Apple Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2021 10:46 AM in response to juno-cat

juno-cat,

By chance, is the Hide Alerts option enabled for that conversation? The “Turn on Hide alerts” section of the following article covers how to check on that: Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If not, you’ll want to reach out to Apple Support, since that behavior still persists after updating: Contact Apple Support

Cheers.

Jun 27, 2021 12:09 PM in response to juno-cat

Hello juno-cat,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that issue with that particular contact.

Do you experience a similar behavior for incoming phone calls from that contact?

Does that persist if you delete the entry for that contact, and then add them back?

How about after updating your iPhone to the latest iOS 14.6? Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Hopefully those details will help to further isolate and resolve this behavior.

Take care.

Jun 27, 2021 2:56 PM in response to i_rina

Thank you i_rina for responding to my issue. I appreciate your help.

Incoming calls from that contact behave as they should on both the phone and the watch.

I have twice deleted the entry for that contact, added him back, reset data and still the problem persists.

I have not updated to iOS 14.6 as I’m concerned about battery drain and have been waiting for the next update. Since the problem began when I updated the iPhone to iOS 14 (while he stayed in iOS 12.x) I’m not sure that would resolve the issue and I hesitate to introduce a new problem. I may have to rethink that.

My iPad Pro, also running iOS 14.5.1, does not have the problem. The iPhone and Apple Watch both have t-mobile cellular, but the iPad Pro, while capable of hooking up to cellular, is not enrolled in a cellular plan. I don’t know if this has any bearing on the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Jun 30, 2021 9:58 AM in response to 1ssmith

Thanks 1ssmith.

First, I’ve updated to iOS 14.6.

I again removed and added back the contact and still only get a numerical notification - no sound or haptics. 

He has sent messages to both Android and iPhone users and the recipients got sound & haptic alerts. And I consistently get sound & haptic alerts from other individuals. The problem is isolated to only those texts between us.

Our messages are iMessages - iPhone to iPhone.

I temporarily removed him as emergency contact and it made no difference.

Neither of us use iCloud, but I can’t see why this would be the issue. 

The only difference I can think of is our text thread is much longer than any others I have, but I don’t see how that could be the issue either.

Thanks for your help - it’s much appreciated.

Texts coming from ios 12.5.4 to ios 14.5.1 only give a numerical notification. No sound, vibration or banner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.