You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery icon with lighting bolt instead of power plug across

Hello. My laptop battery is fully charged. However, the battery icon shows a lighting bolt across. Shouldn't it be showing a power plug across instead?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 4:56 PM

4 replies

Jun 26, 2021 5:59 PM in response to Tesserax

These are the two icons I am referring to:

In both cases the battery is fully charged, and in both cases the laptop is connected to power via the power adaptor.

Currently, my battery icon is the second one (with the lightning bolt) but I think it should be the first one, with the power plug. Don't you think?

I would like to know because when the battery icon is with the lightning bolt, my laptop overheats around the palm rests, (even days after being fully charged) but when the battery icon shows the power plug, it does not overheat.

I would like to know how to set the battery so that it shows the battery icon with the power plug.

Thanks.

PD: sorry, but the ASC post on "battery charging icons" did not help.

Jun 26, 2021 7:28 PM in response to RicMoli

Sorry, I can see that the link I provided you was a bit outdated. To be honest, at this point, I couldn't locate an official Apple Support article that cover both the identification and meaning for the new battery icons on the macOS menu bar with Big Sur to be able to provide you a reference for. Maybe someone else here at the ASC does know and can shed some light on this for both of us.

battery icon with lighting bolt instead of power plug across

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.