Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro vs. iPad Pro

In the fall I will be starting college as pre-nursing and following to apply for my schools nursing program. I am having trouble deciding between the iPad and Macbook. I love the touch screen and pencil idea for the iPad but am comfortable with the sturdiness of the laptop. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 7:15 PM

There are many cases, keyboards, folios etc for the iPad Pro (they're like insects there's so many). If you choose the right one, your iPad Pro may be even sturdier than a MacBook Pro. There are other things to keep in mind though:

-The MacBook Pro has significantly longer battery life than the iPad Pro

-macOS allows you to run many more apps than iOS (which only allows Apple App Store apps)

-The iPad Pro offers a cellular model for places where you can't get wifi. The MacBook Pro doesn't.

It ultimately depends on what your needs will be.

btw, whichever you pick, be sure to take advantage of this special offer before Sept 27! https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/back-to-school

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2021 7:15 PM in response to mmavrick

There are many cases, keyboards, folios etc for the iPad Pro (they're like insects there's so many). If you choose the right one, your iPad Pro may be even sturdier than a MacBook Pro. There are other things to keep in mind though:

-The MacBook Pro has significantly longer battery life than the iPad Pro

-macOS allows you to run many more apps than iOS (which only allows Apple App Store apps)

-The iPad Pro offers a cellular model for places where you can't get wifi. The MacBook Pro doesn't.

It ultimately depends on what your needs will be.

btw, whichever you pick, be sure to take advantage of this special offer before Sept 27! https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/back-to-school

Jun 27, 2021 2:40 AM in response to mmavrick

Since you’re applying to pre-nursing school, I’d pick iPad Pro with a keyboard. You don’t need any advanced capabilities of macOS since you’re not going to be studying engineering or anything of that nature, but what you will have is a nice touch screen with a pencil and the keyboard which is very, very neat.

Also, keep in mind that with the release of iPadOS 15 in the fall, the iPad Pro you get will get even more powerful with enhanced multitasking controls and the like. Sure, you won’t get the amazing battery life you’d get with a MacBook, but you’d still get over 8 hours on a single charge which is likely more than enough for standard college work, and there’s an added benefit of having a cellular connection whenever you need it (should you decide to get a cellular model, which I would definitely recommend).

Jun 27, 2021 5:28 AM in response to mmavrick

mmavrick wrote:

In the fall I will be starting college as pre-nursing and following to apply for my schools nursing program.

If any of the courses you are taking require software which cannot be obtained from Apple's App Store, then you need to go with a MacBook. iPads do not allow you to download and install apps from just anywhere, while a MacBook does. You might ask the school or other students already there in those courses.

Macbook Pro vs. iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.