Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac late 2006 intel based system hdd fatial error

Hello there I understand this system is old and people may say upgrade but due to tight money I need help fixing my issue

I have a late imac 2006 intel core t7400 inside but what happened is my system hdd doesn't work at all unreadable and tryed to get recovered from payed services but unfortunately no good I have install disk and also unreadable due to water damage I have tryed downloading. Dmg files but all I get apple logo with loading then crashes can anyone please help me out to fix this issue

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 10:05 AM

Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion can still be ordered direct from Apple ($20) at this link:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

You will receive an email with a download code that you will use to download the installer from the Mac App Store.

If you have questions you can click the "Contact us" link on that page and call an Apple agent.

Once you have the installer, you can follow the instructions from the link below to create a bootable installer that you can use to install the OS on your old iMac.

How to make a bootable Lion install disc... - Macworld:

https://www.macworld.com/article/213279/make-a-bootable-lion-installer.html

🤞🏽

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 10:05 AM in response to ShaneE23

Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion can still be ordered direct from Apple ($20) at this link:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

You will receive an email with a download code that you will use to download the installer from the Mac App Store.

If you have questions you can click the "Contact us" link on that page and call an Apple agent.

Once you have the installer, you can follow the instructions from the link below to create a bootable installer that you can use to install the OS on your old iMac.

How to make a bootable Lion install disc... - Macworld:

https://www.macworld.com/article/213279/make-a-bootable-lion-installer.html

🤞🏽

Jun 27, 2021 6:12 AM in response to ShaneE23

if your hardrive which is a mechanical rotating disc at min 5400rpm does not work any more after 15 years of service only thing

one can do is to change the hardrive to a new one

it use a SATA harddisk OWC SSD (macfixit.com.au)

to me spending any money on repairing a 15-year-old computer would be crazy unless to display working in some mac museum or shine

Jun 27, 2021 6:23 AM in response to Rudegar

I get that but it's the only mac I have and money is tight at the moment I do have a Windows laptop where I have been trying to find a bootable. Dmg file for it I have already got a new maxwell apple hdd what was alot but thaught would be safer option to get the exact same hdd from the one what is broken.

I just need help with downloading the right os x and making my 32gb sanddisk Usk bootable for it

Jun 27, 2021 7:02 AM in response to ShaneE23

Hello, ShaneE23.

My friend, you are correct; that is an old iMac. You really are best advised to retire it and find a replacement. If money is tight, then don't waste what you have on trying to repair that iMac. Pinch your pennies for a short while and buy something at least a few years newer. Ever hear the term "money pit"?

OK... stepping down from the soap box, now.

The hdd doesn't work so are you using an external USB drive?

What .dmg files have you downloaded? Which OS are you trying to install?

You should be trying to install Mac OS 10.7 Lion, but you can also use 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6 on that iMac.

If you have the install discs that came with the iMac, maybe you can borrow an external USB dvd drive and try to install the OS from that. You did say the DVD drive isn't working? I'm unsure if you can actually boot that machine this way, though.

This is definitely a challenging situation to be in.

Jun 27, 2021 9:38 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hi D. I. Johnson

My dvd drive built in seems to be working I have tryed all but I think the site I'm using is the problem I have looked high and low for os x for that system disnt exactly bother me what one just so I can continue to do part of my job at home and unfortunately my laptop isn't capable of that wrong operating system but your correct I am putting money aside but for now just needing that short term fix with os x but with me I'm not familiar with apple computers windows I can easily fix no issues this is becomming a bit issue if you know anywhere I could try getting a .dmg file what is trust worthy online would be easier if they put the functionality of Internet restore on these systems 🤷‍♂️

Thank you for your time as well

IMac late 2006 intel based system hdd fatial error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.