Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my chart was set for 60 rows, but stops at 20

the chart I created stops at row 20 and won't add a page. Option to add a page is greyed out.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 12:25 PM

The "add a page" icon on the toolbar will be grey if you have the table selected. Click somewhere outside the table and it should go back to normal.

With the table selected, if you look at the Format sidebar on the right, how many rows does it say it has?

You do not add rows to a table by adding new pages. You can change the number in the Format sidebar on the right or by clicking on the icon directly below the last row number and changing the number there. Adding a new page should add a blank page above or below your table.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2021 12:25 PM in response to naomifromstrongsville

The "add a page" icon on the toolbar will be grey if you have the table selected. Click somewhere outside the table and it should go back to normal.

With the table selected, if you look at the Format sidebar on the right, how many rows does it say it has?

You do not add rows to a table by adding new pages. You can change the number in the Format sidebar on the right or by clicking on the icon directly below the last row number and changing the number there. Adding a new page should add a blank page above or below your table.

Jun 27, 2021 2:09 PM in response to naomifromstrongsville

Hi Naomi,

What type of ages document are you using to contain this table?

Pages makes two types: a 'word processing document" or a 'page layout document."

I suspect yours is the latter, as I had no difficulty creating a table with the same number of rows and columns as yours, spanning most of three pages, automatically supplied by Pages in a word processing document.

Process:

• Opened a new Pages document. (My default template is for a 'blank word processing document').
  • Clicked on the Table button in the toolbar and chose the 'single header row, single header column" icon from the list offered.
  • In the Table Inspector (right sidebar) I increased the number of rows to 60 and the number of columns to 5.
  • In the Table inspector, and with the table still selected, I adjusted the Row Height of all rows to the largest value able to show 19 rows of the table on the first page.

Results were as shown above.

Settings in the Arrange section of the Format Inspector are as shown below. The important ones are those setting the object to "Move With Text" and to be "Inline with Text."

Those settings place the object in the Document Body, where it is treated as 'text' and able to continue over a page break (but NOT over a section break).

Because the table is set to 'repeat header rows on each page, there's an extra row created for each page except the first; hence the three rows pushed onto a fourth page.

The same table can be placed into a Pages page layout document, but will react much as you have described:

Although the whole table is 'there,' only the part fitting the page on which it was created (or pasted) will be visible.

Inserting a new 'Page' gives this result:

Note the new (and empty) page thumbnail.

As noted above, Tables can extend over more than one "Page break" to new pages, but not over a "Section break" to a new section. In a page layout document, each "Page" is a separate "Section".

The only way to extend a table onto another page in this type of document is to split the table into several tables, each small enough to fit within the boundaries of a "page", then paste each of those tables onto a separate page within the Pages page layout document.

Regards,

Barry

Example created using Pages 5.6.2. Display of an equivalent table and the Inspectors on your newer version will likely differ.

B

Jun 27, 2021 12:09 PM in response to naomifromstrongsville

Can you post a screen shot? Your terminology does not match Numbers terminology.

A "chart" is a graph (line chart, pie chart, etc) and has neither rows nor pages. If you mean "table", which is the grid of cells with formulas and data in them, tables have rows but not pages. I am trying to think of the option you are saying is greyed out but the term "page" is only used when printing. A screenshot showing the rows and the greyed out option would be useful.

Jun 27, 2021 1:10 PM in response to naomifromstrongsville

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing and what is greyed out? Press Command Shift 4 then let go and use the mouse to create a rectangle around what you want a screenshot of. You'll see what I mean when you do it. My screenshots appear on the desktop but I don't recall if that is the default location.

If you turn on the page thumbnails on the left do you see all your pages and your entire table? View/Page Thumbnails or use the icon on the toolbar.

You may want to post your question in the Pages for Mac forum where they are more expert on using Pages.

my chart was set for 60 rows, but stops at 20

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.