Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri Remote volume controls are stuck, seems to randomly send IR signals?

My new Siri remote (purchased in May) has been working great until today. It can switch my Sony Bravia TV on/off and adjust the TV's volume.

However today it has started randomly switching the TV's input source every few minutes, when it's left completely alone for a time. It also started to act like the "volume up" button was held down, until the volume was at the maximum possible. I clicked the "volume down" button and it initially ignored me, but eventually the volume started to continuously decrease (despite me no longer pressing the button) until the volume was at minimum.

Now when I uncover the end of the remote it is still trying to reduce the volume! I can cover/uncover the end of the remote to make the Sony TV show/hide the volume bar. Clicking either volume button makes no difference now.

According to Apple TV, the remote's battery is at about 70%.

Anyone else seen this? What's the remedy?

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 12:10 PM

I tried all those, but if you read my scenario they aren't going to work because the remote is working perfectly with the Apple TV as a bluetooth remote. The problem is that it is also sending infrared signals that it shouldn't be sending (constantly trying to turn down the volume on my TV). I can cover the end with my hand and it stops.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2021 12:10 PM in response to Jeff_W.

I tried all those, but if you read my scenario they aren't going to work because the remote is working perfectly with the Apple TV as a bluetooth remote. The problem is that it is also sending infrared signals that it shouldn't be sending (constantly trying to turn down the volume on my TV). I can cover the end with my hand and it stops.

Jul 9, 2021 5:15 AM in response to Silvain24

I just saw something: when we power on the AppleTV, it turns on the TV by HDMI-CEC, no problem, in the AppleTV Remote control settings, Auto via HDMI is activated. However, sometimes it switches to Auto via IR!

As long as you are in Auto via HDMI, the IR command on the remote control is no longer active (verified with the camera sensor). If the AppleTV switches to Auto via IR, then the IR signal is reactivated on the remote.

The Sony TV having big problems to maintain a stable HDMI channel, this is probably the issue, the volume control via HDMI cuts out and the AppleTV switches to IR, this causes a loop.

Jul 8, 2021 8:48 AM in response to Daniel Earwicker

I think there is a conflict between HDMI CEC Volume control and IR volume control. Sometimes i'm able to Up or Down the volume and no Volume information is shown on the TV. The Led in front of TV is not blinking, so no IR action. If i hit few more times the Up or Down volume key, Led is blinking ,so TV receive IR signal.

Maybe sometimes TV goes in loop between HDMI control and IR for the same instruction.

Why can't we just control volume by Bluetooth and HDMI CEC ??

Siri Remote volume controls are stuck, seems to randomly send IR signals?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.